Tuition-free college is here New York!
The new Excelsior Scholarship program makes an education at SUNY Oneonta more affordable than ever for New York State families.
Excelsior Scholarship At A Glance
The Excelsior Scholarship is an innovative, tuition-free program aimed at making an education more affordable for New York State families. We at SUNY Oneonta are excited about the promise of this groundbreaking program and although many of the details are being worked out at the state level, we are eager to answer your questions and share what we do know:
- Undergraduate students
- New York State residents
- Those students and families whose combined adjusted gross income for the 2015 tax year is $100,000.00 or less
More information on program details and eligibility criteria may be found at SUNY Smart Track
Excelsior Scholarship Key Points
How do I apply?
- Complete your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the 2017-18 school year using your 2015 tax information
- Complete your New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) application for the 2017-18 school year using your 2015 tax information
- The Excelsior Scholarship application is now available! The application for the 2017-18 school year will be available June 7th – July 21st, 2017. Please note: After July 21st you will no longer be able to apply for the Excelsior Scholarship for this school year.
- Tips for completing the Excelsior Scholarship application.
How will I receive my award?
- Students who are determined eligible by HESC will receive a notification to login to myOneonta and view a revised financial aid award letter reflecting the addition of the Excelsior Scholarship
- The Excelsior Scholarship award will appear as a credit toward your tuition charge on the revised bill
What else should I know?
- The Excelsior Scholarship program has a post-graduation residency requirement. Students are required to reside in New York State for the same number of years for which they received the award. Students do not need to be employed during this period; however, they cannot be employed in another state
- Failure to meet these conditions will result in conversion of the Excelsior Scholarship to an interest-free loan administered by HESC
- Some deferments of post-graduation residency requirement such as out-of-state graduate study are allowed as defined in legislation and determined by HESC
Excelsior Scholarship FAQs
We will continue to update this page as more details become available on this first-in-the-nation program to provide a tuition-free college experience to New York State students with qualifying income. You may also access additional information on the New York State Excelsior Scholarship by visiting SUNY Smart Track
Have a question that we have not addressed? Contact our Financial Aid office: