The Class of 2017 was honored at SUNY Oneonta’s 128th commencement on Saturday, May 13.
See a photo and video recap of Senior Week and Commencement!
The college offered three ceremonies in the Dewar Arena of the Alumni Field House. The ceremony for students graduating from the School of Social Science will be at 9 a.m., followed by the School of Arts and Humanities & School of Natural and Mathematical Sciences ceremony at 1 p.m. and the School of Education and Human Ecology & School of Economics and Business ceremony at 4 p.m.
This year’s commencement speaker was 1975 SUNY Oneonta graduate Rosalind "Roz" M. Hewsenian. Hewsenian’s stature as a leader in global financial investing rests on a reputation for integrity, innovation and service beyond self. Recognized as one of America’s top chief investment officers, she has used her deep knowledge and money management skills to help improve the human condition with organizations such as the More Than Shelter Fund and PLAN of California Special Needs. Since 2011, she has been chief investment officer at The Helmsley Trust, transitioning its high-net-worth capital into a grant-making charitable foundation supporting medical research, conservation and education initiatives.
Three faculty members and two staff members were be recognized as SUNY Chancellor's Award winners for the 2016-2017 academic year.
“The many faculty and staff honored with the Chancellor’s Award for Excellence are the best of our best, having ensured student success as they educate and mentor students with innovative approaches to academic instruction, infuse curricula with applied learning opportunities, adapt best practices from throughout SUNY, and much more,” said SUNY Chancellor Nancy L Zimpher. “Congratulations to all of this year’s recipients."
- George Hovis, an associate professor in the Department of English, has received the Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Teaching
- Sean Robinson, an assistant professor in the Department of Biology, has received the Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Teaching
- Toke Knudsen, an associate professor in the Department of Math, Computer Science and Statistics, has received the Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Scholarship and Creative Activities
- Steven Eichler, an electrician in the Maintenance Operations Center, has received the Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Classified Service
- Denise Straut, director of sponsored programs in the Office of Sponsored Programs, has received the Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Professional Service
Four student award winners were also recognized:
- Daniela Gutierrez, a communication studies and Spanish major from Hampton Bays, has received the Chancellor's Award for Student Excellence
- Spriha Sanjay, a psychology major, New Delhi, India, has received the Chancellor's Award for Student Excellence
- Rachel Shine, a psychology major from Clifton Park, has received the Chancellor's Award for Student Excellence
- Jillian Young, a meteorology major from Sidney, has received the Chancellor’s Award for Student Excellence