This program provides an opportunity for individuals with bachelor’s degrees outside of education to earn teacher certification in special education. The program leads to initial certification in Adolescence Special Education -- graduates of this program will become eligible for professional certification in Adolescence Special Education after they complete three years of teaching special education.
All students applying for admission to the M.S.T. Generalist (Grades 7-12) Program must:
- Submit a completed graduate degree application with a non-refundable $50 fee (fee waived for SUNY Oneonta alumni)
- Provide evidence of completion of a bachelor’s degree in a functionally related area by submitting all official undergraduate transcripts
- Have achieved a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0
- Provide evidence of a content core in a major, concentration or equivalent with a minimum of 30 semester hours in a single school subject: science, math, history or English
- Have a minimum of six semester hours in each of the following subject areas (total 24 semester hours): math, English, social studies and Science.
- Have coursework in technology, artistic expression, communication, information retrieval, humanities, written analysis and expression, a language other than English, concepts in history and the social sciences, scientific and mathematical processes.
- Submit GRE scores (minimum scores have not been established, the following scores: verbal, quantitative and writing are used to determine candidates qualifications).
- Provide three letters of recommendation (may be submitted as part of the online application)
- Complete a clinical interview
Fall admission only