This minor is available only to students who major in Communication Studies. Students in Communication Studies (ADVT) may specialize in a more focused understanding of the ways in which persuasion and argumentation are employed in the modern advertising campaigns. This minor is designed to take the basic understanding of our Communication Studies major and continue them in a more advanced experience and understanding in advertising. For further information contact the Department of Communication and Media, B-12 IRC, (607) 436-3411.
Required Courses 12 s.h.
- COMM 225 Argumentation
- COMM 270 Persuasion in Everyday Life
- COMM 387 Creating Persuasive Campaigns
- MCOM 252 Writing for Radio, Television, and Film
Selections 6 s.h.
- CART 101 Intro to Computer Art
- COMP 150 Intro to Creative Writing
- MCOM 105 Intro Mass Media Law and Regulation
- MCOM 253 Audio Productio
- MCOM 260 Multi Camera Video Production or
- MCOM 261 Videography and Digital Editing
- PHIL 103 Critical Thinking
- PHIL 231 Media Ethics
- PSYC 267 Psychological Perspective in Advertising
Total: 18 s.h.
Additional Requirements: Students are encouraged to complete at least 6 s.h. of the internship, in an advertising or related organization, as elective credit for their Communications Studies major.
1. College rules pertaining to curriculum majors also apply to curriculum minors
- Minor GPA of at least 2.0
- All courses must be taken for a letter grade unless offered Pass/Fail only
- One half (1/2) of the minor coursework must be completed in residence
- No more than two courses may overlap between/among all majors/minors; any excess requires additional coursework
2. Check proper course selection, sequence and prerequisite requirements with department of minor