Once you have been accepted to a study abroad or exchange program, there are several important steps that you must complete before you depart for your program.
Review SUNY Oneonta’s
for Study Abroad Students for detailed instructions about the requirements you must complete.
The required SUNY Oneonta forms that are explained in the Post-Acceptance Guide are accessible here:
Forms for Programs Administered by 4-Year SUNY Schools:
Forms for Programs Administered by 2-Year SUNY Schools:
- Prior Approval (for transfer credit)
- Academic Leave of Absence Form (For students on Fall, Spring and Academic Year programs only)
The deadlines for submission of the above forms are:
- December 1 for Winter Intersession and Spring programs, and
- May 1 for Summer, Fall and Academic Year programs
Students who will be participating in non-SUNY programs should visit the OIE to find out which forms they will need to submit.
In addition to the steps explained above, you will also need to complete these other important steps:
- Apply for a passport, if you don’t already have one. If you have a passport, check its expiration date to make sure that it will be valid for six months after your return date. If not, renew your passport right away. View information about how to renew your passport.
- Find out if you will need any travel documents (e.g. visas or residence permits) in addition to a passport before you depart. Travel document requirements vary depending on the study abroad program length and citizenship of students. To review travel information specific to your study abroad destination, including visa requirements, check the U.S. Department of State website, as well as the website of the country’s embassy or consulate nearest you (many consulates are in New York City). The study abroad office of the campus that administers your program should be consulted about the required travel documents for your program.
- Participate in the mandatory pre-departure orientation required by the administering campus. You may review the information covered during the pre-departure orientation for SUNY Oneonta programs.
- Review travel health and safety information specific to your study abroad destination on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website and the U.S. Department of State website. We strongly recommend that you enroll in the U.S. Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive travel updates and make it easier for the U.S. Department of State to contact you and your family in the event of an emergency.
Have a great experience studying abroad! We hope that you will share your experience with us when you return!
One of the first steps in starting your journey toward studying abroad is acquiring a U.S. Passport. The Office of International Education encourages students to get a passport in their freshman year to prevent processing delays when eligible for going abroad.
Travel Document Information
Obtaining a U.S. Passport | Currently, $110.00, subject to change.
WHY SHOULD YOU GET A PASSPORT?
Early preparation for studying abroad or traveling to Canada. Passports are also another form of ID.
WHAT WILL YOU NEED TO APPLY FOR A PASSPORT?
Passport Application Form DS-11
Available at International Education Office or U.S. Post Office
Evidence of U.S. Citizenship – Provide one of the following:
- Previous valid U.S. Passport
- Certified U.S. Birth Certificate
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
- Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship
Proof of Identity – Provide one of the following:
Recently issued Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship with easily recognizable photo, Current, valid driver’s license, Government employee ID, Military ID
Two Identical Passport Photos:
2x2 inches in size , Clear likeness, taken within the past 6 months, Color required, full-face, front view on a white or off-white background, Normal street attire; no hats or headgear.
Oneonta Post office has photo services for an additional $15
94 Chestnut St.
Tel: (607) 432-7640
195 Oneida St.
Tel: (607) 432-4512
U.S. Post Office
352 Main St.
Tel: (607) 432-6100
Tel: (607) 433-1957
The Postal Service collects an additional fee of $25, payable by cash, check, money order, credit or debit card. See www.usps.com/passport for updates
Check or money order is accepted, Passport Locations: http://iafdb.travel.state.gov/DefaultForm.aspx
OIE suggests that you call ahead of time to make an appointment at the Oneonta Post Office at (607)-432-6100
Will You Need Additional Travel Documents?
Once you have been accepted to a study abroad program, obtain any travel documents that are required in addition to a passport (e.g. visas or residence permits) before you depart. Travel document requirements vary depending on the study abroad program length and citizenship of students. To review travel information specific to your study abroad destination, including visa requirements, check the U.S. Department of State website, as well as the website of the country’s embassy or consulate nearest you (many consulates are in New York City). The study abroad office of the campus that administers your program should be consulted about the required travel documents for your program