SUNY Oneonta's A.J. Read Science Discovery Center is a free, hands-on museum for people of all ages and abilities. Our mission is to connect visitors to the joy and power of the scientific process through authentic, interactive exhibits, and to serve as the indispensable Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math (STEAM) resource for the SUNY Oneonta community and wider region.
The A.J. Read Science Discovery Center, an initiative of SUNY Oneonta's School of Natural and Mathematical Sciences, works to advance six complementary goals:
- We endeavor to instill in all visitors a lifelong love of science and evidence-based inquiry, build a scientifically conversant public, and inspire young people to consider careers in the STEAM fields.
- We provide SUNY Oneonta students with opportunities to engage in public STEAM outreach as student workers, interns and volunteers, through which they can develop effective science communication skills.
- We collaborate with SUNY Oneonta faculty in creating exhibits and public programming that will communicate the dynamic research, teaching and learning that happens on campus to a wider audience. We will raise awareness of SUNY Oneonta as a leader in STEAM education.
- We offer diverse programs for diverse audiences, both on and off-campus, which serve to enhance the public's understanding of the scientific process, scientific issues, and the contributions of the STEAM fields to the region.
- We articulate a vision of science that emphasizes the role of historically under-represented populations in science; our message is that science and the STEAM fields are for everyone.
- The A.J. Read Science Discovery Center will preserve its history as a free public resource by seeking self-sufficiency through private and public grants, gifts, and revenue generated from special programs.