For students participating in a domestic faculty-led program: Select Program & Complete Application & Next Steps Forms
SUNY Oneonta offers a variety of short-term, domestic faculty-led programs throughout the year that vary by location, department, and cost. These are courses taught by SUNY Oneonta faculty for credit that include an overnight travel component in the United States. Faculty-led programs may take place during a semester or during breaks. These programs are a professional development opportunity for faculty and give students an experiential learning opportunity in a new setting.
In accordance with the university-sponsored student travel policy, all FLPs must be approved by the faculty member's Department Chair and Dean, and the program must be administered through the Office of Global Education. The following list will guide you through the process. Please see Credit-Bearing Domestic Faculty-Led Program Procedures for further details.
|Prospective Departure Term||Domestic FLP Request Form & Packet Submission Deadline|
- Faculty leader(s) should complete and submit the domestic faculty-led program request packet to their Department Chair and Dean for review and approval. Upon Dean's approval, the request packet should be sent to the Director of Global Education for review. The Request Packet must include:
- Domestic FLP Request Form (fillable after you save it to your computer - please type your signature on the appropriate line)
- Course Description for existing course, or New Course Proposal Form for a new or Special Topics
- Course must address the nine questions contained in the New Course Proposal Instructions
- Course Syllabus: showing how the travel piece fits into the student learning outcomes of the course
- Travel Itinerary: this should include where, when, lodging, and travel to and from site
- Line-Item Budget (if applicable)
- COVID-19 contingency plan (see COVID-19 procedures below)
- If there will be a program/course fee, the OGE will provide the faculty leader(s) with a Request to Collect Form, which the faculty leader(s) will need to sign and route for signatures.
- Once the Domestic FLP Request Form is fully signed, marketing for the course may begin and the course may be added to the schedule of classes. If the travel is mandatory to the completion of the course, then the course MUST be made instructor permission only in the schedule of classes. For this situation, students should submit an add/drop form signed by the faculty leader to the Registrar's Office.
- Students must register for the course through the Registrar's Office no later than one month prior to departure.
- Students participating in the FLP must create an account through the OGE Global Portal to submit student travel forms no later than one month prior to departure.
- Faculty must submit a finalized program participant roster with student contact information (phone number and email) and emergency contact information to the OGE.
- If program fee: no later than one month before first program payment deadline
- If no program fee: no later than 2 months before departure
- Faculty should contact Sue Obergefell in OAS to obtain an OAS debit card if they do not yet have one. All faculty leaders of domestic FLPs should have an OAS debit card, so that necessary funds will be available to them in case of an emergency.
- Faculty must submit an emergency plan to the Office of Global Education and share this with their Dean no less than two weeks prior to departure. The emergency plan should be disseminated to all travel participants. See emergency plan template under "Forms."
- The OGE will submit the FLP travel information, including the faculty leader's emergency plan and COVID-19 contingency plan to the university sponsored student travel registry prior to the program start date.
- Faculty leader(s) must review emergency protocol procedures prior to program departure and the OGE will provide an electronic student information packet to take with them.
- Upon return, complete the Clery Form in accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (20USC§1092) and/or the Incident Report Form if applicable.
COVID-19 Procedures for Domestic Faculty-Led Programs:
- As part of the Domestic Faculty-led Program (FLP) approval process, faculty leaders will be required to submit a COVID Contingency Plan that addresses the following:
- A plan for if/when students and/or faculty leader(s) test positive while en route to or at the destination (including provisions for delayed return)
- How will students make up work?
- Where are the quarantine/isolation accommodations? What would the associated cost(s) be if a student and/or faculty member needed to quarantine/isolate in separate accommodations?
- If a faculty leader has to quarantine/isolate or has some other emergency long-term absence, how will the course proceed?
- Where is the nearest testing site to the program location(s)?
- Faculty leaders will need to submit their COVID Contingency Plan with their Emergency Plan to the OGE. The OGE will submit the FLP information to the Student Travel Registry prior to the travel start date.
- SUNY Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance is an option for all domestic FLP participants, both students and faculty leader(s). Information regarding this insurance can be found in the OGE Global Portal.
- Students will be required to submit a COVID Acknowledgement Form to the OGE prior to departure that indicates that students may have to bear additional costs due to COVID-19 or other unforeseen events.
- Students are not required to submit a COVID-19 test prior to departure. However, it is encouraged that students take a COVID-19 test for safety purposes.
- Faculty leaders will need to bring rapid COVID-19 tests (Antigen tests) with them during the program (at least as many to guarantee full testing before return). SUNY Oneonta will cover the cost of the tests for participants on Summer 2022 domestic FLPs. The OGE will provide faculty leaders with details about obtaining the tests.
- In line with SUNY Oneonta’s current COVID-19 vaccination requirement, students will be required to be fully vaccinated. Students with approved exemptions must abide by all SUNY Oneonta COVID-19 requirements for students with approved exemptions.
Questions regarding the domestic faculty-led program process may be directed to the Director of Global Education at email@example.com (607-436-3363).
Request to Conduct Domestic Faculty-Led Program
Faculty-Led Off-Campus Incident Report Form