You must apply for financial aid each year you plan to receive benefits. Your FAFSA and TAP are used to determine your eligibility for most scholarships, work-study and federal loans.
1. Complete the FAFSA
- The FAFSA is available on October 1 for the following year.
- The student and a parent will need to obtain a Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID (different than your Oneonta username), at least 3-5 days prior to completing your FAFSA.
- Watch the short video, How to fill out the FAFSA
- The FAFSA uses “prior-prior year” tax data. The IRS Data Retrieval Tool electronically transfers your federal tax return information into your FAFSA form.
- When you come to the end of the FAFSA online process, you will have an opportunity to complete a New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) application with most of your federal data carried over to your TAP application.
Check the status of your FAFSA anytime!
It is essential that all transfer students make sure to release their FAFSA data to SUNY Oneonta. You can make that correction electronically by adding school code 002847.
2. Complete a NYS TAP application
If you missed the opportunity to complete a TAP application at the end of the FAFSA online process, you may complete TAP on the Web now.
If you completed your TAP application at the end of the FAFSA online process, review your TAP status and make corrections electronically at My HESC Account Access. Check your school code and make sure your TAP grant is scheduled to come to SUNY Oneonta (school code 0930).
It is important to inform New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (NYSHESC) that you will attend SUNY Oneonta.
Review your TAP status and make corrections electronically at My HESC Account Access. Check your school code and make sure your TAP grant is scheduled to come to SUNY Oneonta (school code 0930).
3. Apply for other federal and state programs
- Excelsior Scholarship
A tuition-free program for New York State residents with a post-graduation residency requirement
- Educational Opportunity Program (EOP)
Additional services for students who are both academically and financially disadvantaged
- Federal TEACH Grant
For future teachers with a teaching service obligation
- DREAM Act
Allows undocumented and other eligible students to apply for New York State financial aid
- Veteran and Military Services
Education benefits for eligible service members, veterans, and their families
4. Review your financial aid award
1. Review your Financial Aid Award Letter carefully
New students will receive their financial aid award letter in the mail via USPS once they have been accepted by the Admissions Office and the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships has received their FAFSA.
New and returning students will receive an eAward Letter notification by email once their award is available to view online through the My Financial Aid link in myOneonta (login with your official Oneonta username and password, NOT your FSA ID).
2. Review the Terms of Financial Aid awards
3. Review the Rights and Responsibilities as a student aid recipient
Contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships if you wish to decline or reduce any part of your award
Once New York State has a completed TAP application from the student and the state budget has passed, you will receive a TAP award certificate from NYS Higher Education Services Corp (HESC) with your official TAP award.
While you are waiting for this process to be completed, you may see an estimated TAP award appearing in your Financial Aid Award package. If you want to review your TAP application and/or make address or college code changes, you can do so at My HESC Account Access. SUNY Oneonta's TAP school code is 0930. Questions about your award should be directed to NYS HESC (888-697-4372).
Please note that the SUNY Tuition Credit appearing in your award package is in addition to the TAP grant and also determined by NYS HESC.
Students awarded Federal Work Study as part of the Financial Aid Award will receive an email with further instructions.
Returning students who have borrowed previously will be processed automatically after accepting the Subsidized and/or Unsubsidized Student Loans on your myOneonta account.
First year students
First year students seeking student loans will need to complete 3 steps:
- On your myOneonta account, select My Financial Aid to view your award and accept your Subsidized and/or Unsubsidized Student Loans.
- Complete the Federal Direct Loan Entrance Counseling.* This online counseling session goes over the student's rights and responsibilities in borrowing student loans. After the student has signed in with their FSA ID (from Step 1), select "Complete Counseling" and then "Entrance Counseling." Select SUNY Oneonta as your college.
- Last (you may complete this in the same session), you must sign a Master Promissory Note* (MPN). MPNs are valid for 10 years and transfer from school to school. If you previously completed an MPN (for example you previously attended a school that participated in Federal Direct Student Loans), you may not have to complete a new one (although it never hurts if you are unsure). You can check if you have a valid MPN by selecting the option "Completed MPN's" once logged on to studentloans.gov.
Please allow 24-48 hours for your data to be transmitted by Department of Education and processed by SUNY Oneonta.
Students should contact their financial aid counselor to decline or reduce loan amounts. Federal Direct Loans deducts a loan origination fee of 1.062% from the loan proceeds.
SUNY Oneonta is dedicated to helping students keep their loan debt down as much as possible. Please take some time to look at our Making Cents Financial Literacy Program
Parents planning to borrow from the Federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) must complete the following steps:
- Sign into studentloans.gov with your parent FSA ID (from Step 1), click on "Apply for a Direct PLUS loan" and then on "Direct PLUS Loan Application for Parents." You may begin the PLUS loan process after May 1st of the upcoming aid year. This process will collect borrower information and perform a credit check. You will find SUNY Oneonta listed as SUNY COLLEGE AT ONEONTA. In the event you are denied a PLUS due to credit, please contact the financial aid advisor assigned to your student for additional options.
- Once approved, the parent borrower will complete a PLUS Master Promissory Note* (MPN) on the same site (during the same session if you wish) by clicking on "Complete Loan Agreement (MPN)" and then on "PLUS MPN for Parents."
Please allow 48-72 hours for SUNY Oneonta to receive notification about your Parent PLUS Loan and add it to your Financial Aid Award package. Please be sure to borrow only what you need. Federal Direct Loans deducts a loan origination fee of 4.276% from the loan proceeds.
It is extremely important that you inform the university when your address has changed.
In order to protect your privacy, SUNY Oneonta requires you request address changes in writing. Address changes must be made at the Registrar's Office by completing the Change of Personal Information Form. This form should be completed, signed and returned to the Registrar's Office (Netzer 131).
There may be additional documentation that we are required to collect. We will notify you by email instructing you to sign into your myOneonta account with your Oneonta username and password to view your outstanding requirements under your "My Verification" tab. Please do not send your copies of tax returns - we cannot accept them.
Submit completed requirements to:
Fax: (607) 436-2659
SUNY Oneonta Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships
123 Netzer Administration Building
Oneonta, NY 13820-4015
Not submitting requested documentation within 30 days may result in a forfeiture of your financial aid eligibility!
If you need assistance with these steps, please call the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships at 607-436-2532. We are here to help!