We welcome a first-year class of over 1,000 students each year. We look for well-rounded applicants who show the potential to succeed in a rigorous academic environment and the desire to get involved in our campus community.
SUNY Oneonta considers a number of factors in our holistic review process including: academic performance, rigor of the course work, exam scores (including Regents, IB, and AP), commitment to extra-curricular activities (including community service, leadership in student organizations and athletics, performance and artistic activities, and part-time employment); among other measures.
Applicants for admission are expected to complete a minimum of 16 units of college preparatory coursework as follows:
- 4 units of English
- 4 units of Social Studies
- 3-4 units of Mathematics (including Algebra, Geometry, and Algebra II)
- 3-4 units of the same Foreign Language
- 3-4 units of Science (2 Lab)
*If less than three units are taken in one of the subjects, a minimum of four units will be required in one of the others.
Education Applicants: If you wish to declare Education as a major, you will need a grade-point average of at least 3.0 or you must rank in the top 30 percent of your high school graduating class.
SUNY Oneonta is now test optional and will not require submission of SAT or ACT scores from students applying for undergraduate admission for the Spring 2024, Fall 2024 and Spring 2025 semesters. While we will consider scores if submitted, SAT/ACT results are not required. If you would like your test scores considered in the review process, please request your official scores to be sent to SUNY Oneonta from your high school or testing agency.
- Oneonta SAT Code: 2542
- Oneonta ACT Code: 2940
Early Action is a non-binding early application/notification program for fall first-year students. To be considered for Early Action, please select the "Early Action" option on the application and submit the application by November 15. Applicants will be notified of decisions by January 6. Students admitted through Early Action do not have to withdraw applications at other institutions until May 1.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis until institutional enrollment goals are met. We will begin reviewing applications the first week of January.
- Official high school transcript or results of GED/TASC
- Self-reported SAT and/or ACT scores (SUNY Oneonta is test optional for Spring 2024, Fall 2024, and Spring 2025 applicants. If you'd like us to consider your SAT or ACT scores, you can self-report them on the Common App or the Supplemental portion of the SUNY Application. We will make admissions decisions based on self-reported scores. If you are accepted and decide to enroll, we'll require official scores from either the College Board/ACT or your high school. These must match your self-reported scores.)
- One letter of recommendation from a school counselor or teacher
Once we receive your application, you will receive an email with a Username (your email), PIN number and link to your personal status page. Your status page will be updated as we receive application materials and/or request additional information. Please be sure to check back often.
Note: The Admissions Office uses email as our main source of communication for important updates including application status notifications. You can update your email address at any time on the Applicant Status Page.
Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA will be available for submission in December 2023
- FAFSA CODE: 002847
- TAP CODE: 0930
Please be sure to promptly respond to any inquiries from our Financial Aid Office. Visit Applying for Financial Aid for additional information and assistance.
All admissions decisions are communicated online through the Applicant Status Page.
Additional materials are required for:
ART & DESIGN (BFA): If you wish to declare a major in Art and Design, you must submit a portfolio for review by the Art Department. The Office of Admissions will review all applicants for academic preparation. If you are found admissible you will be admitted, but the major will not be finalized until the portfolio review process is completed.
MUSIC: If you wish to declare a Music major, you are required to schedule and successfully pass an audition with the Music Department. You will receive additional information at the time of application. The Office of Admissions will review all applicants for academic preparation. If found admissible you will be admitted, but the major will not be finalized until the audition process is completed. All auditions are coordinated through the Music Department.
To maintain consistency in how we read applications from all students and to ensure we can thoroughly evaluate whether you've met the necessary foundation of skills and academic credentials to be successful at Oneonta as a home-schooled applicant, you must submit the following materials in addition to those required of all first-year applicants:
- An individualized home instruction plan (IHIP) for all four years or a complete portfolio of your work. Quarterly reports covering your entire "high school" time are also accepted.
- One of the following:
- A letter from the superintendent of the school district in which you reside attesting to your completion of a program of home instruction that is the substantial equivalent of a four-year high school course of instruction
- A high school equivalency diploma (GED). Provide the score report (a passing score is required) and the diploma itself.
Merit scholarships are awarded to students who have demonstrated academic achievement, distinction or excellence. There is no separate application process for most SUNY Oneonta and SUNY Oneonta Foundation scholarships. Priority is given to students who apply for admission by January 15, 2024.
IMPORTANT APPLICATION NOTE
SUNY Oneonta uses email as its primary method of communication. Please be sure the email address provided on your application is correct. We suggest using your personal email as school email addresses are often blocked. You should also add SUNY Oneonta (email@example.com) to your contacts to avoid important notifications being sent to spam folders.