Finding an internship that is both exciting and relevant to your field is an important step in the internship process. Review the guidelines below for finding an internship that suits your needs.
Start Your Search
Just like when searching for a job, finding an internship that fits your needs can take time. If you are interested in earning credit for an internship, be sure to start your search early to ensure you can complete the approval process in a timely manner.
We recommend considering the following resources to help you start your search. You never know where you might find an opportunity to gain experience in your field!
|Faculty Members||Faculty members in your department serve as a great place to start when looking for internship ideas. In order to receive credit for an internship, students will need to establish a Faculty Sponsor. Connecting with a faculty member early in the process can ensure a smooth application process.|
|Handshake||SUNY Oneonta uses the Handshake application to post jobs and internships, as well as process internship applications for credit. Use your Oneonta Single Sign-On Credentials to create an account.|
Organization Websites, Chamber of Commerce, Internship Databases, such as:
|Printed Resources||Newspapers, Professional Journals|
|Social Media||LinkedIn (Join the Alumni Association Group) is a social media website that emphasizes professional opportunities through network connections.|
|Social Networks||Family, Friends, SUNY Oneonta Alumni|
Select an internship
When considering different internship opportunities, you may want to ask yourself the following questions:
- Is the internship related to my field?
- Does the work sound interesting to me?
- Is the internship paid or unpaid?
- When is the internship offered? Will it be available in the timeframe I would like to complete it?
- Is the company/organization offering the internship reliable and reputable?
- Is there a faculty member who would serve as a Faculty Sponsor for the internship?
Need help answering these questions? We encourage all SUNY Oneonta students looking to complete internships to:
- Complete the Focus 2 career assessment. For the code to login and create your own account, please email Career@Oneonta.edu.
- Book an appointment with a Career Counselor.
Apply for internships
Depending on the internship opportunity you are hoping to complete, you may need to prepare materials for an application or interview. The Career Development Center is here to assist you with: