Grants do not need to be repaid. Sources of grants include the federal and state government, SUNY Oneonta and a number of private organizations.

You can apply for federal grants using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Other programs may require additional or different applications. Your financial aid counselor can answer questions about the following grant programs:

Federal PELL Grant

Federal PELL Grant is a federal grant program based on the estimated family contribution determined by the information you report on the FAFSA. More information about this and other federal aid programs is available in The Guide to Federal Student Aid published by the Department of Education. These funds may be used to defer charges.

Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grant (SEOG) is a federal grant program for exceptionally needy students. These limited funds are awarded generally to students with need and an EFC of 0. These funds may be used to defer charges.

Federal Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education Grant (TEACH)

TEACH is a federal grant program with a teaching service obligation. This program provides up to $4,000 per academic year for full-time study. In exchange, the student must agree to teach in a high-need field in a school that serves students from low-income families, full-time, for at least four academic years within eight years of completing the program of study. If the student does not satisfy the service obligation, the amounts of the TEACH grants received are treated as a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford loan and must be repaid with interest. See additional details at the Department of Education website.

To be eligible for TEACH, a student must:

  1. file a FAFSA;
  2. meet general Title IV eligibility criteria;
  3. be currently matriculated (in your first undergraduate degree) in one of the following programs:
    • Undergraduate (01):
      • *CHED - Childhood Education (1-6)
      • *ECCE - Early Child/Childhood Education (B-6)
      • *MVCH - Childhood Education (1-6) MVCC Campus
      • AEBI - Adolescent Education Biology
      • AECM - Adolescent Education Chemistry
      • AEES - Adolescent Education Earth Science
      • AEEN - Adolescent Education English
      • AEFR - Adolescent Education French
      • AEMA - Adolescent Education Mathematics
      • AEPH - Adolescent Education Physics
      • AESP - Adolescent Education Spanish
      • FCSE - Family and Consumer Sciences Education
      • AESS - Adolescent Education Social Studies
    • Graduate (02):
      • BIED - Bilingual Education Extension
      • FLED - Foreign Language Education
      • **ETEC - Educational Technology Specialist
      • LB6 - Literacy Education (B-6)
      • L512 - Literacy Education (5-12)
      • SPEC - Special Education; Early Childhood Education
      • SPCD - Special Education; Childhood Education
      • SPAD - Special Education; Adolescence Education
      • SPEG - Special Education; Generalist: 7-12

        *In order to obtain a teaching job in a high-need field, you must complete a master's program in a high-need field.
        **In order to be eligible you must already have certification in a high need field.
  4. intend to teach in a high need field at a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low-income families; and
  5. maintain a 3.25 gpa, or in the case of a first year undergraduate student, a 3.25 high school gpa based on a 4.0 scale, or in the case of a first year graduate student, a 3.25 undergraduate gpa. GPA requirement is waived if you scored above the 75th percentile on any nationally normed standardized admission test.

Review the eligibility details of the Federal Teach Grant above. If you qualify for this program and are interested in learning more, complete the following steps in order:

  1. Complete a TEACH grant counseling interview
  2. Make an appointment to meet with your financial aid counselor
  3. Meet again with your financial aid counselor to finalize your award; you will be given instructions on when and how to complete your Agreement to Serve (ATS).

If you participate in the Federal TEACH Grant during your attendance at SUNY Oneonta and stop attending or drop below 6 credits (for example, you are less than half time, transferring, withdrawing or graduating), you must complete a Federal TEACH Exit Interview. A hold will be placed on your records that will prevent the release of grades, academic transcripts and your diploma until you complete this requirement.

New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)

New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) is a grant program for New York State residents based on your net taxable income. We will estimate your TAP award until we receive notice from NYSHESC of your actual award amount. Awards are contingent upon passage of the New York state budget. Your official TAP Award Certificate from NYSHESC will be used to defer charges.

TAP Eligibility

TAP Code 0930

Educational Opportunity Program (EOP)

Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) funds are New York State grants that may be used to defer charges.

Aid for Part-Time Study (APTS)

Aid for Part-Time Study (APTS) is a New York State grant program for eligible undergraduate degree students enrolled for 3-11 hours per semester.

State University Supplemental Tuition Award (SUSTA)

State University Supplemental Tuition Award (SUSTA) is awarded to students who receive a TAP award and have earned a qualifying cumulative grade-point average.

Student Emergency Fund

The Student Emergency Fund provides grants for SUNY Oneonta students to pay for urgent expenses triggered by unforeseen events that threaten their ability to stay in college.

Student Emergency Fund

Back to top