The Excelsior Scholarship program makes an education at SUNY Oneonta more affordable than ever for New York State families.
To learn more about the Excelsior Scholarship, visit New York Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC)
The Excelsior Scholarship Application for Spring 2021 is open now!
The deadline to apply is February 11, 2021.
Please note that the COVID-19 pandemic has dramatically reduced state revenues and the processing of new applications is pending on Federal assistance, which has been delayed since April. Excelsior Scholarship awards may have to be reduced and/or prioritized for current recipients as provided for under the program.
Excelsior Scholarship at a Glance
The Excelsior Scholarship is an innovative, tuition-free program aimed at making an education more affordable for New York State families. SUNY Oneonta is excited about the promise of this groundbreaking program and we are eager to answer your questions and share what we know:
First Year Students:
- Be a New York State Resident for 12 consecutive months prior to the start of the term
- Be a U.S. citizen or non-eligible citizen
- Have graduated from a high school in the U.S. or earned an equivalency diploma
- Have a combined federal Adjusted Gross Income of $125,000 or less
- Be pursuing an undergraduate degree
- Execute a contract agreeing to reside in New York State for the length of time the award was received, and, if employed during such a time, be employed in New York State
Continuing Students/Transfer Students:
- Meet all of the criteria listed for New students
- if attended college prior to the 2020-21 academic year, have earned at least 30 credits each year (successively), applicable toward his or her degree program prior to applying for an Excelsior Scholarship
- complete your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the 2020-21 school year using your 2018 tax information;
- complete your New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) application for the 2020-21 school year using your 2018 tax information;
- have on hand copies of 2018 New York State income tax return(s) filed by you and your parent(s), as applicable;
- have a copy of your 2018 NYS IT-201-I; and
- have a copy of your award letter from SUNY Oneonta.
Excelsior is available during open application periods here: Excelsior Scholarship Program
Current Excelsior Scholarship recipients do not need to complete this application and no additional action is needed for the Fall term.
To renew your participation in the Excelsior Scholarship program you must:
- complete your 2020-21 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) using your 2018 tax information;
- complete your 2020-21 New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) application using your 2018 tax information; and
- continue to meet the program eligibility requirements as they are outlined on HESC.
An Excelsior Scholarship recipient may receive up to $5,500 from the Excelsior Scholarship, minus any amounts received for TAP, Pell or other scholarships.
- The remainder of your tuition charge will be covered through a tuition credit paid through SUNY
- Eligible award recipients will be issued a revised bill showing their Excelsior program awards
- Excelsior scholarship awards do not cover other educational costs such as Comprehensive Student Fee, course fees, room, dining or books.
TAP, Pell and any other grants or scholarships are subtracted from the frozen tuition amount of $6,470.00, the amount remaining is your Excelsior Scholarship award up to a maximum of $5,500.00. Any remaining tuition liability will be covered by a tuition credit paid through SUNY.
Bills for new and returning undergraduate students are available in myOneonta.
- Excelsior applicants may notice that the scholarship is not reflected on their bill.
If you have applied for the Excelsior Scholarship, the college is providing you with two options to “clear” your bill, pending determination of your eligibility:
Option 1: Pay the balance in full and be reimbursed any excess payment resulting from an Excelsior Scholarship award.
Option 2: Enroll in the Oneonta Installment Plan and pay the first installment (1/3 of the balance due). If an Excelsior Scholarship is awarded, the remaining installments will be reduced or canceled, depending on the scholarship amount.
The Student Accounts office can be reached at 607-436-3389 and staff will gladly answer any questions you may have about your payment options.
Excelsior Eligibility Determination
- Students who are determined Excelsior-eligible will receive a notification to login to myOneonta and review a revised financial aid award letter reflecting the addition of their estimated Excelsior Scholarship Award
- The Excelsior Scholarship award will appear as a credit towards the tuition charge on the revised bill
Important note about Excelsior Scholarship “certification”
At the end of the fall and spring semesters, HESC will require the college to confirm final award eligibility for each student. This includes confirmation of minimum credits earned and certification of other grants and scholarships factored into the estimated Excelsior Scholarship award calculation.
If a student does not meet the certification requirements, eligibility for the Excelsior Scholarship program and associated awards will be rescinded. HESC determines final eligibility for the Excelsior Scholarship program.
Students are responsible for all monies owed as a result of a loss of eligibility, regardless of when the loss is determined.
- The Excelsior Scholarship program has a post-graduation residency requirement. Students are required to reside in New York State for the same number of years for which they received the award. Students do not need to be employed during this period; however, they cannot be employed in another state
- Failure to meet these conditions will result in the conversion of the Excelsior Scholarship to an interest-free loan administered by HESC
- Some deferments of post-graduation residency requirement such as out-of-state graduate study are allowed as defined in legislation and determined by HESC
We will continue to update this page as more details become available on this first-in-the-nation program to provide a tuition-free college experience to New York State students with qualifying income. You may also access additional information on the New York State Excelsior Scholarship by visiting SUNY Smart Track.
Have a question that we have not addressed? Contact our Financial Aid office: