International Student Health Insurance

All international students are required to have United Healthcare (UHC) health insurance coverage at all times. The UHC Student Health Insurance plan is intended for your protection and is a federal and state regulatory requirement while providing the student with quality, comprehensive healthcare coverage while studying in the U.S. and maintaining an I-20.

All international students on F-1 student visas (exchange, visiting, and degree-seeking students) and J-1 exchange visitors (professor, research scholar, student intern) will be automatically be enrolled in the UHC insurance plan. No health insurance from the student’s home country (overseas) will be accepted or considered as a substitute for the U.S. United Healthcare (UHC) insurance plan at SUNY Oneonta.

2023-2024 Academic Year International Student Rate Structure


Dates of Coverage

Individual Cost


8/15/23 - 1/14/24 (5 months)



1/15/24 - 8/14/24 (7 months)


(or fraction of)

As designated


Up to 16 Days

As designated


For F-1 international students, view the F-1 Student UHC Insurance Member Guide for more detailed information on UHC coverage and your UHC Student Account.

For J-1 Exchange Visitors (Professors, Research Scholars, and Student Interns) or F-1 students on OPT, view the J-1 & OPT UHC Insurance Member Guide.

Note: Next academic year's insurance costs may be slightly higher and will be updated once they are confirmed.

Frequently Asked Questions

A: You should first call the SUNY Oneonta Health & Wellness Center to make an appointment. The healthcare staff will treat you there or give you a referral to a Oneonta facility for care.

A: You will need to bring your UHC ID card with you. If it is your first time visiting an off-campus healthcare provider, you will need to pay a $200 deductible (this must be paid one time each year). If the healthcare charge does not reach $200 that first time, you will need to pay until the $200 deductible is met.

A: Consult a local healthcare facility in Oneonta. If it is your first time visiting an off-campus healthcare provider, you will need to pay a deductible (paid one time each year). If you have questions regarding your bill, bring your medical bill with you to the OGE or contact the off-campus healthcare provider which you visited.

Before visiting a healthcare provider, if you are unsure if they are considered "in-network", please search the UHC provider list by logging into your UHC account or consult the OGE. If you are unsure, you can also ask before you make an appointment if they accept your health insurance information on your UHC ID card.

For non-emergencies:
Bassett Convenient Care (Walk-In Clinic) at 1 Associate Drive, Oneonta, NY 13820
8:00 am - 7:00 pm, Monday through Friday
9:00 am - 4:00 pm, Saturday & Sunday
Tel: 607-433-6400

WellNow Urgent Care (Walk-In Clinic) at 5001 NY-23, Oneonta, NY 13820
8:00 am – 5:00 pm – Sunday through Saturday – call to schedule same-day or next-day appointment
Tel: 607-431-5052

Both of these clinics accept the UHC International Student Health Insurance (are in-network) and are on the bus route, free with SUNY Oneonta ID. For more information on the public bus system, please go to their website

For emergencies:
If you have a medical emergency or life-threatening incident, you should go to the nearest Emergency Room (ER) at AO Fox Hospital, minutes away from SUNY Oneonta. AO Fox Hospital is in-network as well.

AO Fox Hospital (Emergency Room) at 1 Norton Ave., Oneonta, NY 13820
Open 24 hours for emergencies
Tel: 607-431-5000

A: Follow this procedure:

1. Call UPD on campus at 607-436-3550 - available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (or, press the button on the Blue Light emergency pole)

2. The UPD will dispatch the Oneonta Student Emergency Squad (OSES)

3. OSES will evaluate the situation

4. If you need to go to the hospital, OSES will either:

a. Call an ambulance

b. Call a taxi to take you to the hospital

A: Yes, students just need to pay a co-pay for most prescriptions drugs which is $10 for generic and $20 for brand name. You may fill your prescription at any pharmacy. Always show your UHC health insurance card when filling prescriptions. Note – some pharmacies may ask you to pay for your prescription up front. Simply file a claim form through your UHC Student Portal.

A: UHC healthcare coverage is comprehensive and has substantial benefits to students. Students are covered at 100% for outpatient and inpatient care at in-network healthcare facilities, after deductible is met. Coverage also includes benefits for medical evacuation and repatriation.

Dental and vision are not included in the UHC insurance coverage. Students are covered everywhere in the United States and are also covered by the plan if they travel abroad. Stop by the Office of Global Education and consult the International Student Advisor/DSO if you need help.

A: You are covered all over the world as you travel. You are also covered if you travel back to your home country during a break through the general UHC insurance. However, you are not covered by UHC in your home country for the Evacuation/Repatriation Benefits specifically.

A: No worries – go online to your UHC Student Account to reprint your ID card or ask the Office of Global Education for a replacement card. Loss of your card does not mean a loss of coverage.

A: Check out the United Healthcare Student Resources site, where you can get a wealth of information about your insurance, locate a doctor’s office, understand prescription drug terms, check on claims, get expert advice, and use many of the UHC tools to help you navigate through the healthcare realm. Make sure you've created your UHC Student Account so you can access your ID card and the above information at any time.

Back to top