SUNY Oneonta offers a variety of short-term, faculty-led programs (FLPs) abroad throughout the year that vary by location, department and cost. These are courses taught by SUNY Oneonta faculty for credit abroad and include coursework, cultural experiences, and often service learning opportunities. Typically, a faculty-led program takes place during breaks, either Summer, Winter, or Spring, and can last anywhere from 1 to 4 weeks. These programs give students the opportunity to learn in a completely new setting, and often on unique subject matters not regularly offered on campus.
To schedule an advising meeting with a Study Abroad Professional or Peer Advisor, click the button below:
Visit our OGE Global Portal to:
Instructions for Students: In the OGE Global Portal, click on "Programs" and type in the Faculty-Led Program name in the search bar. Then click on the program to see details and to apply. You may need to select the "hamburger" (three horizontal lines) drop down menu on the top of the screen to see "Programs" in the mobile phone view.
Course: PHIL 2750: The Philosophy of Life and Death in the United Kingdom
Travel Dates: May 25, 2023 - June 15, 2023
Contact: Dr. Daniel Patrone, Daniel.Patrone@oneonta.edu
Tenerife (Canary Islands)
Course: MUSE 5400: Museums, Landscapes, and Society in the Canary Islands (Cooperstown Graduate Program Students Only)
January 9, 2023 - January 20, 2023
Contact: Dr. Erik Stengler, Erik.Stengler@oneonta.edu
Dr. Cynthia Falk: Cynthia.Falk@oneonta.edu
View the Tenerife Program Brochure in the OGE Global Portal
Course: GEOG 3085 (Cross-listed with ENVS & GEOL): Water and the Environment of Guatemala
Travel Dates: May 25, 2023 - June 7, 2023
Contact: Dr. Tracy Allen, Tracy.Allen@oneonta.edu
View the Guatemala Program Brochure in the OGE Global Portal
Course: CART 3301 - Documentary Photography
Travel Dates: June 9, 2023 - June 25, 2023
Contact: Professor Wesley Bernard: Wesley.Bernard@oneonta.edu
View the Portugal Program Brochure in the OGE Global Portal
For SUNY Oneonta Faculty Interested in Running a Program:
Faculty-Led programs abroad are a professional development opportunity and can provide a unique format for collaboration with overseas colleagues and partners.
The OGE is accepting syllabus submission forms and program proposal packets for Winter 2024 programs and beyond. See submission deadlines below.
To begin the set-up and logistical process for potential programs, contact Faculty-Led Program Coordinator Matthew Lerman at Matthew.Lerman@oneonta.edu. Submit proposal materials to Matthew.Lerman@oneonta.edu.
See further details regarding FLPs in the College Sponsored Student Travel policy.
For international FLPs, syllabi are required to be reviewed and approved by the Department Chair and Dean before the Program Proposal is submitted. Syllabi must follow and meet the requirements of the SUNY Oneonta Syllabus Guidelines.
- Syllabus Submission Form
- Course Syllabus
|Prospective Departure Term||Syllabus Form & Syllabus Submission Deadline||Proposal Form & Packet Submission Deadline||
Term(s) to Recruit &
|Winter 2024 (Winter Break)||Thursday, February 23, 2023||Wednesday, March 8, 2023||Spring & Fall|
|Spring 2024 (Spring Break)||Thursday, February 23, 2023||Wednesday, March 8, 2023||Spring & Fall|
|Summer 2024||Thursday, March 30, 2023||Thursday, June 1, 2023||Fall & Spring|
OGE will work with faculty leaders on the process to create detail code for student payments.
Program leader(s) must create a detailed emergency & COVID-19 contingency plan (OGE Emergency Plan Template) and submit it to/discuss it with the OGE. The emergency plan must include:
- The identification of location and contact information of American (and other country if non-American citizen students are part of the program) Embassies and Consulates in country/countries of travel.
- Accommodation information (addresses and contact information)
- Flight information
- Emergency numbers in-country (ambulance, police, fire department)
- Program leader(s) contact information and contact in case program leader(s) cannot be reached
- Nearest hospital/emergency medical facility for each program location and contact information for the facilities
- Alternate meeting place in case of emergency
- SUNY international health insurance contact information
For SUNY Oneonta faculty sponsoring NON-CREDIT international student travel:
- Faculty sponsors/leaders must notify the OGE of non-credit international student ravel at least two months prior to student travel by emailing email@example.com with the travel itinerary (locations & dates) and participant roster with student & faculty contact information. It is vital that the OGE know of student international travel so the office may enroll the students and faculty leader (if applicable) in international health insurance and inform them of health and safety requirements.
- Students must complete the "Non-Credit International Travel" application in the OGE Global Portal. After the OGE "commits" them in the portal, the students will be able to complete the required "next steps" forms. These must be completed at least two months prior to student travel.
- The Faculty-Led Program Coordinator will submit student travel information to the College-Sponsored Student Travel Registry for information management of all College-sponsored student travel.
See the Non-Credit International Student Travel procedures for full details (part of the College Sponsored Student Travel Policy).
NOTE: Due to COVID-19, the SUNY Office of Global Affairs currently requires campuses to submit petitions to offer any college-sponsored international student travel. Faculty sponsors must assist the OGE with preparing the petition form to submit to SUNY Global.
For more information about Faculty-Led Programs Abroad or non-credit international student travel, contact: