SUNY Oneonta unites excellence in teaching, scholarship, civic engagement, and stewardship to create a student-centered learning community.
SUNY Oneonta will be recognized as a leader in challenging and empowering students to identify and achieve ambitious goals. We will ensure a quality and affordable education emphasizing ethical, critical, and creative thinking for our graduates to succeed in a diverse and changing world.
Goals and Objectives
Goal 1: Increase students’ engagement throughout their collegiate experience.
- Develop a “Degree of Distinction” that recognizes and rewards students for leadership, engagement, and independent learning.
- Formalize a Center for Teaching Excellence to serve as the focal point of activity for advancing teaching, learning, and engagement.
- Improve first-year student academic engagement.
- Increase opportunities for students to be mentored.
- Recognize faculty and staff for exceptional advising and mentoring.
Goal 2: Promote inquiry, service, and scholarship.
- Craft a distinctive identity for SUNY Oneonta that highlights our values and achievements.
- Develop college-wide essential learning outcomes including creative, critical, and ethical thinking.
- Expand community engagement and service in the curriculum.
- Enhance and broaden communications that highlight faculty, staff, alumni, and student accomplishments.
- Strengthen and grow student and faculty research and creative activity.
Goal 3: Broaden access to SUNY Oneonta’s exceptional and affordable educational programs.
- Develop a robust advising system beyond course planning that enhances student completion and success through faculty-student interactions.
- Implement a strategic enrollment plan to address sustainable enrollment growth and further diversify the student body.
- Increase four-year graduation rates to meet the SUNY chancellor’s goal of 60% by 2020.
- Increase students’ financial literacy and reduce their loan debt at graduation.
- Strengthen SUNY Oneonta as a safe and welcoming learning and living environment where everyone is valued.
Goal 4: Strengthen the college’s financial sustainability.
- Prioritize academic and student services spending to strengthen enrollment and promote student success.
- Generate and allocate new revenue to enhance academic and student services.
- Restore annual operating reserve to 15% of state support by increasing revenue and operating more efficiently.