To educate the campus community about the responsible reuse of items while providing a valuable service to faculty, staff, and students on campus who are looking for items of use at inexpensive prices. Our reward is interacting with the campus community in an educational and fun way, with the ultimate goal of funding a student sustainability scholarship!
Who We Are
Conceived out of a genuine concern for the responsible reuse of materials and keeping as much consumer product out of the waste stream, the Red Closet Thrift Shop is a concerted effort by an enthusiastic group of SUNY Oneonta thrifters to find homes for quality clothing and household items that would otherwise end up in the landfill. This dedicated group of staff and students feels very strongly that, "If it has use... there is no excuse!"
If you would like to join in on the fun, we are looking for volunteers, donations, and shoppers! We are a cash-only operation reliant on volunteers and donations. All proceeds from sales fund a scholarship established for SUNY Oneonta students who demonstrate leadership and a dedication to sustainability initiatives!
New in 2018 we are excited that the Red Closet Shop has moved to a 100% student-run initiative. We have a tremendous group of students through RAC (Revival of Apparel Club) managing and marketing the operations. A diverse group of students ranging from Fashion to Sustainability is ensuring the Thrift Shop is vibrant and successful! If you are a student and would like to get involved please contact the RAC E-board at firstname.lastname@example.org
What We Are Not
- We are not a consignment shop. We have to keep it simple since we have limited volunteers and time. We will gratefully accept donations of gently used items in the hopes you recognize a great cause. In exchange, we will offer great prices!
- We are not a Dumpster. We are looking for quality, clean items with re-use potential. Please be mindful of this when bringing in donations.
- We don't have the space to accept large items.
- If you have items that really do need to be disposed of, use the links below for more information about the responsible disposal of consumer items on campus or in the community.
- Otsego County Waste Management
- "Clothes" the Loop NY - textile recovery initiative in NY
- Otsego County Hazardous Waste Day
- Composting (Cornell Cooperative Extension).
- Recycling on Campus
- Student E-Waste Solution - Drop off your e-waste in the bins located in the lobby of Hunt Union. Contact our Sustainability Coordinator for more information.