To educate the campus community about the responsible reuse of items while providing a valuable service to faculty, staff and students on campus who are looking for items of use at inexpensive prices. Our reward is interacting with the campus community in an educational and fun way, with the ultimate goal of funding a student sustainability scholarship!
Who We Are
Conceived out of a genuine concern for the responsible reuse of materials and keeping as much consumer product out of the waste stream, the Red Closet Thrift Shop is a concerted effort by an enthusiastic group of SUNY Oneonta thrifters to find homes for quality clothing and household items that would otherwise end up in the landfill. This dedicated group of staff and students feels very strongly that, "If it has use... there is no excuse!"
If you would like join in on the fun, we are looking for volunteers, donations and shoppers! We are a cash-only operation reliant on volunteers to staff the shop. All proceeds from sales fund a scholarship established for SUNY Oneonta students who demonstrate a dedication to sustainability initiatives at SUNY Oneonta and beyond!
What We Are Not
- We are not a consignment shop. We have to keep it simple since we have limited volunteers and time. We will gratefully accept donations of gently used items in the hopes you recognize a great cause. In exchange we will offer great prices!
- We are not a Dumpster. We are looking for quality, clean items with re-use potential. Please be mindful of this when bringing in donations.
- We will not accept SUNY Oneonta licensed material for resale. Red Dragon Outfitters in Hunt Union can help you wear your Oney pride!
- We don't have the space to accept large items, but we might be able to help you find your item a home. Talk to us!
- We are not affiliated with the property management office. We cannot accept items that have a SUNY Oneonta asset tag and do not sell state owned property.
- If you have items that really do need to be disposed of, use the links below for more information about the responsible disposal of consumer items on campus or in the community.
- Otsego County Waste Management
- Otsego Re-Use Center
- "Clothes" the Loop NY - textile recovery initiative in NY
- Otsego County Hazardous Waste Day
- Composting (Cornell Cooperative Extension) . Composting Tips (Otsego County Waste Management)
- Recycling on Campus
- Student E-Waste Solution - Drop off your ewaste in the bins located in the lobby of Hunt Union. Contact our Sustainability Coordinator for more information.