Obtaining Benefits

The Veterans Benefits Certifying Official (VCO) oversees Chapter 30 (Montgomery), 31 (Voc Rehab), 35 (Dependents Assistance), 33 (post-9-11), and 1606/1607 (reserves) educational benefits. The Veterans Certifying Official (VCO) is located in Students Accounts.

The Office of Student Accounts assists with the above and oversees other veterans benefits ( VA TAP, NYS Child of Veteran Awards, GoArmyEd, and DMNA).

If you are using any other benefits, you usually obtain those directly through your recruiter/unit.


File your FAFSA to be eligible for other forms of state and federal grants and loans.


The VCO is responsible for verifying your attendance to VA each semester. The VCO also maintains records and reporting documentation to VA detailing your major, the number of credits you are enrolled in, the grades earned each term, and your academic standing.

Your Responsibility- IMPORTANT!

  • Provide all necessary documentation and maintain contact with the VCO regarding enrollment status
  • Notify the VCO immediately if a class is dropped or added or there is a change to your major.

1. Provide the VCO with a copy of your application for VA benefits (first time recipient) or Change of Place of Training /Change of Program application (continuing recipients who are new to Oneonta or who have changed majors).

2. Provide the VCO with your Certificate of Eligibility. After you apply for benefits, you will receive a letter from VA verifying you are eligible for benefits, which type of benefit you are approved for, at what level you are approved, and for how long (verification of eligibility).

  • If benefits have been transferred to you (Chapter 33), the VCO needs a copy of the letter identifying the benefits have been transferred
  • If you are the dependent of a vet receiving Chapter 35, the VCO needs a copy of the Certificate of Eligibility and the Social Security Number of the vet
  • If you have been discharged, we need a copy of your DD-214

3. Attend a SUNY Oneonta orientation session and register for courses.

The VCO cannot verify your attendance until all the above paperwork is received AND you are enrolled in courses AND a bill has been generated.

  • File FAFSA each year
  • Report any change in type of benefit or percentage of benefit eligibility to VCO
  • Register for classes and accept financial responsibility statement on the online bill each semester
  • VCO will verify your attendance to VA

  • Apply for benefits using the GoArmy self-service portal
  • Update your registration information in the GoArmy self service portal each semester

Division of Military and Naval Affairs (DMNA) Recruitment Incentive and Retention Program for State Military Forces (Army and Air National Guard and Naval Militia):

  • Chapter 33 Post 9/11 G.I. Bill®: Tuition and fee payments come directly from the VA to SUNY Oneonta. Living expenses/book stipends (if eligible) are paid to the recipient.
  • Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Ch. 31): tuition, fees, books, supplies paid directly to SUNY Oneonta
  • Chapters 30 Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty®: Educational Assistance Allowance paid directly to recipient by VA
  • Chapter 35 Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program: Educational Assistance Allowance paid directly to the recipient by VA
  • Chapter 1606 Selected Reserve: Educational Assistance Allowance paid directly to recipient by VA
  • Chapter 1607 Reserve Educational Assistance Program: Educational Assistance Allowance paid directly to recipient by VA
  • Army Reserve/Army National Guard: Tuition assistance paid directly to SUNY Oneonta
  • DMNA: Tuition only paid directly to SUNY Oneonta by the State of NY

There is sometimes a delay in the processing and payment of veterans education benefits to SUNY Oneonta and/or the recipient. When benefits to be paid directly to the university are delayed, SUNY Oneonta will defer the semester bill pending receipt of payments.

The deferment would be in the amount of confirmed benefits. (This can only be done for costs billed by SUNY Oneonta; off-campus housing and other expenses are not covered.) With this deferment SUNY Oneonta will not:

  • Prevent or delay enrollment
  • Assess a late penalty fee
  • Require the student to secure alternative or additional funding
  • Deny the student access to any resources available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution, including but not limited to access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities

To qualify for this deferral, the student must:

  • Provide the Certificate of Eligibility to the VCO for Federal benefit programs, or provide the benefits confirmation information to the Billing Manager for State programs
  • Register for classes
  • Accept the financial responsibility statement in the online semester bill at myOneonta

If a balance remains due after veterans benefits and other confirmed financial aid items are factored into the bill, the Billing Manager will work with the student to develop a formal deferral agreement or payment plan.

Contact the Billing Manager for assistance:

Student Accounts Office
240 Netzer Administration Building


Veterans Benefits Certifying Official (VCO)

Kelly Pinter

VCO/Billing Manager
Payments & Deferrals
Student Accounts
240 Netzer Administration Building

Phone: (607) 436-2682
Fax: (607) 436-2660

Email: Kelly.Pinter@oneonta.edu

Back to top