This minor is only available to students who matriculated prior to Fall 2021.
The Linguistics Minor is designed for those who wish to supplement their major academic work in another discipline with work in English. The specific courses satisfying the requirements of the minor are to be selected under the advisement of and approved in advance by, the English Department Chair. For more information, please contact the English Department, 322 Netzer, 607.436.3446.
Core Requirements: 3 s.h.
LING 150 - Introduction to Language and Linguistics 3 s.h.
Selections: 15 s.h.
Select five of the following:
- LING 201 - Language and Society 3 s.h.
- LING 210 - Traditional Grammar: English 3 s.h.
- LING 215 - Introduction to Editing and Publishing 3 s.h.
- LING 294 - Special Topics in Linguistics 3 s.h.
- LING 320 - History of the English Language 3 s.h.
- LING 322 - Varieties of American English 3 s.h.
- LING 394 - Special Topics in Linguistics 3 s.h.
- LING 399 - Independent Study in Linguistics 1 s.h. - 6 s.h.
Total: 18 s.h.
1. College rules pertaining to curriculum majors also apply to curriculum minors
- Minor GPA of at least 2.0
- All courses must be taken for a letter grade unless offered Pass/Fail only
- One-half (1/2) of the minor coursework must be completed in residence
- No more than two courses may overlap between/among all majors/minors; any excess requires additional coursework
2. Check proper course selection, sequence and prerequisite requirements with the department of the minor