The Media Studies Minor is designed for students seeking an understanding of contemporary media scholarship and industry practices. It includes both media theory and media production courses, with a special emphasis on convergent media. To complete the minor, students must take 18 total credits from the courses listed below. Students planning to complete the requirements for this minor must make the necessary arrangements through the Department of Communication and Media, B-12 IRC, 607.436.3411. (Pre-Fall 2018 courses in parentheses). Effective Fall 2018
Core Courses 9 s.h.
- MCOM 105 Media Law and Policy
- MCOM 151 Understanding Media
- MCOM 186 Media Inquiry
*Note: These classes also serve as prerequisites for advanced Media Studies coursework
Introductory Courses (6 s.h.):
Choose one class from Group A and one class from Group B.
- MCOM 220 Digital Storytelling
- MCOM 204 Visual Communication
- MCOM 259 Media and Culture
- MCOM 281 Art of the Motion Picture
- MCOM 294 Special Topics (varies)
- MCOM 200 Journalism
- MCOM 253 Intro to Audio Production
- MCOM 261 Intro to Video Production
Advanced Courses (3 s.h.)
Choose one class from Group C -or- one class from Group D.
*Note: these classes have prerequisites; please check eligibility
- MCOM 340 Participatory Media
- MCOM 358 New Media Practices
- MCOM 362 Documentary Tradition
- MCOM 300 Advanced Journalism
- MCOM 353 Advanced Audio Production
- MCOM 360 Studio Production
- MCOM 380 Advanced Video Production
TOTAL 18 s.h.
1. College rules pertaining to curriculum majors also apply to curriculum minors
- Minor GPA of at least 2.0
- All courses must be taken for a letter grade unless offered Pass/Fail only
- One-half (1/2) of the minor coursework must be completed in residence
- No more than two courses may overlap between/among all majors/minors; any excess requires additional coursework
2. Check proper course selection, sequence and prerequisite requirements with the department of the minor