SUNY Oneonta’s Access to College Excellence (ACE) program provides services and support to first-year, first-generation college students from New York State who are both academically and financially disadvantaged and who have the desire and potential to earn a college degree.
ACE students receive financial assistance and attend a month-long Summer Academy, where they make friends, become familiar with the campus and prepare for a successful transition to college. The Office of Access and Opportunity Programs provides continuing support services, including peer mentors, tutoring, a lending library, alumni networking and more.
- Additional financial grant (does not need to be repaid)
- Peer Academic Coaching Effort (PACE)
- Personal, academic and financial counseling
To be eligible for admission through ACE, you must meet all the criteria below:
- Be a resident of New York State
- Be a recipient of a high school diploma or GED
- Be of the first generation in your family to obtain a college degree
- Meets the family income requirements in the chart below
(INCLUDING HEAD OF HOUSEHOLD)
- * For each additional family member, add $10,042.
- Subject to change for 2024-2025.
- If you are a ward of the state, under foster care without parental support, or are primarily dependent on public assistance, the financial requirements have been met.
ACE consideration is determined by the Office of Admissions. You will be given the opportunity to “opt-in.” When we review your application for admission, we will determine whether you are eligible for the ACE program and email you with an invitation to join the program. Once you have opted in, you must complete all requests for additional information as soon as possible.
Information on Applying
SUNY Oneonta is now test optional and will not require submission of SAT or ACT scores from students applying for undergraduate admission for the Spring 2024, Fall 2024 and Spring 2025 semesters. While we will consider scores if submitted, SAT/ACT results are not required. If you would like your test scores considered in the review process, please request your official scores to be sent to SUNY Oneonta from your high school or testing agency.
- Oneonta SAT Code: 2542
- Oneonta ACT Code: 2940
*SAT/ACT scores are required for admission to the 3+3 in Physical Therapy at SUNY Update Medical University.
Official high school transcript or results of GED/TASC.
Report SAT and/or ACT scores (please note SUNY Oneonta is test optional for Spring 2024, Fall 2024 and Spring 2025 applicants).
- SUNY Oneonta will render admission decisions using self-reported ACT or SAT scores. Students may self-report via the Common App or the SUNY Supplemental (if you applied using the SUNY application). Official scores are required of all students enrolling and must match self-reported scores. Discrepancies can lead to revocation of admission.
One letter of recommendation from a school counselor or teacher.
If the Office of Admissions invites you to join the ACE program:
- Complete the Opt-in Form – accessible from your Applicant Status Page.
After you have opted in, you will need to submit the following:
- ACE Supplemental Financial Information Form – accessible from your Applicant Status Page.
- A short, four-question questionnaire – accessible from your Applicant Status Page.
Learning a little bit more about you and your goals for pursuing a college degree will help us determine whether you are eligible for the Access to College Excellence program. The questionnaire will ask:
- What motivated your interest to pursue post-secondary education?
- Explain the circumstances that affected your academic performance in high school.
- Share with us something or someone you look forward to seeing daily or weekly and why.
- Based on what you know about the Access to College Excellence Program, how do you think the program will benefit you?
Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- FAFSA CODE: 002847
- TAP CODE: 0930
Please be sure to promptly respond to any inquiries from our Financial Aid Office. Visit our Applying for Financial Aid page for step-by-step instructions.
Once we receive your application, you will receive an email with a Username (your email), PIN number and link to your personal status page. Your status page will be updated as we receive application materials and/or request additional information. Please be sure to check back often.
Note: The Admissions Office uses email as our main source of communication for important updates, including application status notifications. You can update your email address at any time on the Applicant Status Page.
You will be invited to meet with an ACE counselor for final consideration. Following the meeting, an official decision will be communicated to you online through your Applicant Status Page.
For questions about admissions criteria or the application process, please contact the Office of Admissions at 800-SUNY-123 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions about services provided through the ACE program, please contact the Office of Access and Opportunity Programs at 607-436-2407 or 607-436-2496.