For a mental health emergency (when the Counseling Center is not available) call the OTSEGO COUNTY MOBILE CRISIS ASSESSMENT TEAM 24-HOUR CRISIS SERVICES at 1-844-732-6228
- After business hours a student on campus should call University Police to request help to evaluate the situation at 436-3550 or Call the Otsego County Mobile Crisis Assessment Team (MCAT) 24-hour crisis phone number (toll-free) to talk with mental health worker 844-732-6228 or 877-369-6699
- For a student who is off campus, call Oneonta Police Department to ask an officer to check on the student 432-1113
Serious illness or injury
- During and after business hours on campus, call University Police or the Oneonta State Emergency Squad (OSES) for transport to the hospital at 436-3550 if needed. Information on when to call an ambulance and local urgent care services.
- For a student who is off campus, call 911.
Threatening or irrational behavior, crime in progress, sexual assault
- If you are on campus call University Police at 436-3550
- If you are off campus call 911
- The SUNY Oneonta University Police Department is available 24/7. Officers are sworn state police officers with full arrest powers and are trained to evaluate psychological crises.
- In cases of sexual assault, UPD officers can contact the Violence Intervention Program (VIP) to request the services of an advocate for the victim.
Non-Emergency Student Problems
During Business hours (8:30-4:30 Mon-Fri)
Call the Counseling Center at 436-3368, to assist the student in scheduling an appointment, to say you’re bringing in a student, and to talk with a staff member about evaluating the student’s situation and identify appropriate action
Call the Office of Student Development to talk with a staff member about your concerns at436-2513
Illness or Injury
Call or send the student to the Student Health Services at 607 436-3573
Physical, learning or psychological disability
Contact Accessibility Resources, Milne Library, to assist the student in making an appointment or to say that you are referring a student 436-2137
Hotlines, Chat Rooms & Blogs
Sometimes you may need to talk to someone, or connect with someone that shares the same concerns. A hotline is a 24-hour telephone service where you can talk to trained staff about particular subjects. A chat room is a place where you can talk over the internet with other people about a specific topic.
Although these services can help you feel connected or get support, some conditions are best treated by a professional counselor. Please consider accessing counseling services in addition to utilizing the resources below.
While we recommend these resources we cannot fully endorse all of the information or advice you may receive. We think it is important for every individual to be thoughtful and discerning about the advice they receive.
If you're feeling stressed out and its not an emergency, you may also want to try a relaxation exercise.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
24-hours, 7 days a week hotline for people considering suicide
***If you are considering suicide, you can also contact someone locally in Oneonta, NY. Bassett Hospital Crisis Services provides a phone consultation service which is available 24 hours/7 days a week at at 1-877-369-6699.
National Sexual Assault Hotline 1-800-656-4673
***The Violence Intervention Program in Oneonta NY also has a 24-hour crisis service available at 607-432-4855.
National Child Abuse Hotline 1-800-422-4453
For questions or help in reporting suspected child abuse.
National Domestic Violence Hotline 1-800-799-7233
National Runaway Hotline 1-800-621-4000 or 1-800-231-6946
Serves runaway/homeless youth and their families.
National AIDS Hotline 1-800-342-2437
For information about prevention, risk, testing, treatment and other HIV/AIDS- related concerns.
Alcohol and Drug Help Line 1-800-ALCOHOL (252-6465)
Gambling Addiction Hotline 1-800-522-4700
Veterans Crisis Line 1-800-273-8255 (press 1)
Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgender National Hotline Toll-free 1-888-THE-GLNH (1-888-843-4564) open Sunday-Friday 4pm to midnight, Saturdays noon-5pm Easter Standard Time
The Trevor Lifeline Project for the prevention of suicide among LGBTQ people (24- hours a day) 866-488-7386 (866-4U-Trevor)
Chat rooms, Message Boards and Blogs
Depression Chat rooms Directory A great resource for chat rooms for support for people living with depression and anxiety.