If a hazardous material (hazmat) release occurs, take prompt and appropriate action.
DO NOT enter any area where there is an indication of a hazmat release.
- Immediately call University Police at 607-436-3550 and provide the following information:
- Location (building and room) of the leak or spill
- Source of the leak or spill, if it can be identified
- Extent of the leak or spill (e.g., diameter of spill area)
- Whether anyone is experiencing symptoms of exposure
- Number of people affected by the release
- If instructed by emergency responders or the dispatcher, pull the nearest fire alarm and evacuate the building.
This preparedness guide for students, faculty, staff and visitors has been provided to you by SUNY Oneonta. We encourage you to familiarize yourself with how SUNY Oneonta plans for emergencies, and to improve your understanding of emergency preparedness and response. This guide is based on presently available information, as well as current federal- and state-recommended protective actions. In every situation, common sense and awareness of personal safety should take precedence over any action described in this guide.