The English Department at SUNY Oneonta is soliciting submissions for the department's writing awards: the five Laurence B. Goodrich prizes. Each prize includes a cash award and winning entries will be posted on the English Department website.
How to Apply: All entries should be submitted electronically as a PDF file. E-mail your entries to firstname.lastname@example.org. You may enter more than one contest, but each submission should be a separate e-mail. Be sure to indicate the specific prize (Critical Essay Prize, Poetry Prize, etc.) in the subject line. You may submit one essay, one story, and up to three poems. Submissions may have been written during the previous spring semester (2020) or the current academic year (2020–2021).
Deadline: Monday, April 12, 2021
Laurence B. Goodrich Prize
The Goodrich Prize recognizes outstanding writing in four categories: personal essay, critical essay, creative nonfiction essay/memoir, and poetry. Each prize winner will receive an award of $50.00.
- The Goodrich Personal Essay and Memoir Prize for the best creative non-fiction or memoir essay submitted during the academic year. The maximum length is 2,000 words.
- The Goodrich Creative Non-fiction Prize for the best nonfiction or memoir essay submitted during the academic year. The maximum length is 2,000 words.
- The Goodrich Critical Essay Prize for the best essay in literary criticism submitted during the academic year. Submissions are encouraged from students in literature courses at level 200 and above. The minimum length is 2,000 words.
- The Goodrich Fiction Prize for the best short story submitted by an undergraduate student. The maximum length is 7,000 words.
- The Goodrich Poetry Prize for the best poem submitted during the academic year. Submit up to three poems or six pages of poetry.
Additional Department Awards
Minnie P. Olive Award
The Minnie P. Olive Award is presented to the graduating senior who has demonstrated the most outstanding academic excellence in English. The Minnie P. Olive Scholar will receive an award of $100.00.
The English Department Academic Achievement Award
Each year, the English Department faculty as a whole meets to consider the academic records of our graduating seniors. Reviewing the scholarly accomplishments of the seniors with the most outstanding GPAs, the faculty chooses one student whose scholarly performance stands out from the crowd, considering not only the quantified GPAs but also more intangible issues of intellectual originality, austerity, and professional potential. Winners' names are permanently displayed in Milne Library. The award winners in this category attend a banquet celebrating the achievements of scholars from other departments as well as English.
The Susan Sutton Smith Scholarship
The Susan Sutton Smith Scholarship was established in 1998 by the parents of the late Dr. Susan Sutton Smith, an esteemed colleague in the English Department. It is a scholarship of approximately $500 awarded to an English major who shows academic promise. It is renewable, provided the student completes three English courses per academic year and maintains a 3.5 GPA in the English major and a 3.25 GPA overall.