Chosen Personal Information Process

Who is Eligible?

The SUNY Oneonta Chosen Personal Information Process allows students and employees to officially notify the university of their chosen first names, chosen gender identity, and pronouns. This information will be used in several communication systems across the university, however, there are limits to where this information can be used.

This practice is consistent with current guidance from the SUNY System, state laws including GENDA, and our university’s discrimination policy, which protects students against discrimination based on gender identity and expression. It is currently recognized as a best practice for supporting transgender and gender non-conforming members of university communities.

This process is different than the legal name change process within New York State. If you are looking for state-based legal ID change policies, please visit the National Center for Transgender Equality's website.

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently asked questions about the Chosen Personal Information Process are answered below. The Gender and Sexuality Resource Center and Office of Equity and Inclusion would happily address other questions about it.

A chosen first name is one that you choose to be called that is different from your legal/primary first name.

In the English language, pronouns are a means for us to address each other. Typically, there is a gender implied; for example, using “she” to imply someone is a girl or woman. This is not always accurate, so it is important to respect any and all pronouns an individual may use in referring to themself.

SUNY Oneonta recognizes that some community members wish to use names, gender markers, and/or pronouns other than what is included in legal documentation to identify themselves in daily use. SUNY Oneonta permits use of chosen personal details as long as the use is not for the purpose of misrepresentation. The university extends this accommodation in order to help foster a more welcoming, supportive and respectful campus climate for all of its students and employees.

Students wishing to add a chosen first name, chosen gender marker, and/or pronouns or change existing information must complete a Chosen Personal Information Form, which is available on our ONE Stop Forms site. Once the form is selected, instructions and the content will populate for students to fill in with their preferred details. After the form is complete and submitted, the Registrar staff will work to update systems with the new information.

Chosen personal information form screenshot

Current employees wishing to use preferred names must complete and submit a Chosen Personal Information Request form, along with a photo ID in person to the Office of Human Resources, located in Netzer Administration Building room 208.

Students’ chosen first names will appear on class rosters, grade rosters, advisee listings, myOneonta, ID cards, email display, and Brightspace. Students’ chosen first names also may appear in university promotional materials, news releases and related systems. Students’ legal/primary names will remain unchanged in all other university-related systems.

Employees’ chosen first names will be listed on their email, ID cards, and in the directory. Employees’ chosen first names also may appear in university promotional materials, news releases and related systems. Employees’ legal/primary first names will appear on all other university records and documents (including employment records). New employees will be offered the opportunity to provide a chosen name upon hire.

The university will use students’ legal first names on official transcripts, enrollment verifications, and in most third-party database systems. The university will use employees’ legal first names with all documentation associated with official employment records.

No. However, the university encourages students who have changed their legal name to update their university record to reflect that change by completing a Change of Personal Information form (paper copies are available at the Registrar’s Office) and submitting it along with required documentation to the Registrar’s Office.

Employees that have changed their legal name will need to contact Human Resources to update their records. If Employees have questions about the legal name change process, they can contact Human Resources for instructions.

The university may use this information within housing accommodation software.

Pronouns will be included in residential life records and campus ID cards, with the plan for class rosters to be included once available.

Only you as a SUNY Oneonta community member can choose or change your own chosen personal information. You cannot choose or change anyone else’s chosen personal information.

Yes. However, the university reserves the right to reject or remove information it deems inappropriate.

Yes. Simply complete and submit another Chosen Personal Information Request form reflecting the change.

Upon request, ITS may be able to provide chosen names and pronouns to employees who use lists of students/employees, depending on how the information is to be shared. Legal information will otherwise continue to be used as the default.

The university typically will begin using the updated information within two business days following the appropriate office’s receipt of a Chosen Personal Information Request form.

There are three separate components to Oneonta email addresses: username, display name, and email aliases.

Email display name and email alias example

Graduates will have the opportunity to provide their chosen first name in their diploma application. Graduates can indicate what name they would like printed on their diploma; this information will be what is also printed in the ceremony program booklet. On the day of the ceremony, cards will be provided for graduates to fill in what name they would like read aloud.

Below is an image of the template for the ID card. Chosen first names will be located on the front of the ID card while your legal name will be located on the back of the ID card, at the bottom left corner of the card. Pronouns will be located at the bottom of the card on the front, underneath the 5081 number. There is a $20 replacement fee for new ID cards. This fee would be waived if the chosen first name change reflects an individual’s gender identity.

ID Card Template
Back to top