Human Ecology Internships

If you're thinking of interning, here is some information and some companies to consider! Also be sure to check out the information on teaching assistantships below.

Human Ecology majors need to gain valuable practical experience in areas related to their career objective by obtaining paid or volunteer positions and/or by completing an undergraduate internship.

SUNY Oneonta offers students the opportunity to earn academic credit by working off-campus in a field related to their majors. Students may work in a variety of areas, including hospitals/nursing units, resort/food management, business/food manufacturing, product development, culinary arts, public relations, government, fashion merchandising, design, apparel and textiles, and tourism. Summer session internships entail periods of service ranging from three to ten weeks. Eligible students may complete a SUNY Oneonta internship for credit. The internship programs yield varying amounts of credit. The appropriate forms are available in the department office or you can download the internship application.


  • Junior or Senior standing
  • Cumulative Grade Point Average of 2.5 or higher
  • Successful interview with the sponsor
  • Some internships require that one or more faculty support your application
  • Declared Human Ecology major
  • Course pre-requisites completed satisfactorily

For more information on internship eligibility requirements please see

General Information

  • Internships are typically off-campus. Students may need to provide transportation, living quarters, uniforms, evidence of good health.
  • Internships are typically designed to meet individual student needs for experiences not otherwise available. Internships are not intended to substitute for regular course offerings.
  • Internships are available each semester and during the summer.
  • Students earn 1 credit for every 40 hour work week. Students keep a log of experiences and will complete projects or other assignments in conjunction with the experience.

Interested students should discuss internship opportunities with their faculty academic advisors and faculty internship coordinators at least one full semester before planning to do an internship.

Internship coordinators are:

Teaching Assistantships

Teaching Assistantship positions are teaching (research) assistants for a professor for a semester. This entails the development of teaching material and activities, research of new literature, and laboratory/classroom experience. A student receives from 1-6 credits while obtaining teaching (research) experience in Human Ecology. Required is a minimum major GPA of 3.0 or higher. Students must have taken the course prior to being a teaching assistant.

Junior and Senior majors who have completed substantial coursework may elect to enroll in HUEC 4095. Faculty will assist students in planning and participating in substantive teaching or related educational experiences. These experiences can add markedly to a student's confidence and expertise in this vital professional area.

Back to top