Health Professions Advisory Committee
The Health Professions Advisory Committee (HPAC) Letter is how SUNY Oneonta formally presents our candidates to medical, dental, and optometry schools. The strengths and attributes of candidates are summarized in a "HPAC Committee Letter" or "Committee Letter" of recommendation, which accompanies the individual letters of recommendation that are submitted to medical, dental, and optometry schools.
Students desiring a Committee Letter for their medical, dental, or optometry school applications should plan to apply in February for an HPAC interview in April of their spring semester prior to application to medical, dental, or optometry school or the spring semester prior to graduation from SUNY Oneonta.
The following HPAC interview & Committee Letter eligibility requirements have been established:
Students are approved in two phases:
Phase 1: The following information must be submitted via the HPAC 2021 Form NO LATER than 5 p.m. on February 26, 2021:
- Names of 3-5 individuals completing HPAC evaluation form (evaluators should include one healthcare provider from the applicant's intended field, one science faculty, and one employer or other professional reference)
- Note for 2021 ONLY: the Healthcare Provider evaluation can be substituted with another evaluator. Students who have not been able to obtain in-person healthcare experience due to the pandemic should submit a formal request for a "COVID Substitution" to the 2021 HPAC Chair.
- Class standing (Student must be of junior or senior standing)
- Expected graduation Month & Year
- GPA (Student must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0)
- Privacy Act Form Acknowledgement
Only students approved after Phase 1 will eligible to submit documents for Phase 2.
Phase 2: The following documents must be emailed to the HPAC Chair NO LATER than 5:00 pm on March 26, 2021:
- HPAC evaluation form from 3-5 references (directly from evaluator)
- NOTE: Optometry Candidate HPAC evaluation forms must include a FULL recommendation letter (signed, on official letterhead), directly from evaluator.
- Personal Statement (best draft)
- CV (resume)
- Unofficial Transcript (all college courses, can be student copy)
- MCAT, DAT, or OAT scores (or results of practice tests), if available
- Electronic copy of Signed Privacy Act Form
Phase 1 AND Phase 2 approved students will receive HPAC interview invites beginning March 29, 2021.
Spring 2021 HPAC interviews will be held in April.
HPAC related questions should be directed to Tami LaPilusa, M.S., 2021 HPAC Chair
- Tami LaPilusa, M.S. (HPAC Chair, 2015-2018, 2020-current)
- Lisa Curch, Ph.D. (Social Science Faculty Member)
- Allan Green, Ph.D. (Chemistry/Biochemistry Faculty Member)
- Michael Levenstein, M.D. (Physician Member)
- Maurice Odago, Ph.D. (Chemistry/Biochemistry Faculty Member)
- Kristen Roosa, Ph.D. (Biological Science Faculty Member)