PEER TUTOR POSITIONS
We hire many peer tutors each year. Positions are competitive, and not all those who apply are contacted for an interview. Due to the number of unsolicited applications we receive, we are unable to personally email or call all applicants.
The requirements for consideration are as follows:
- We choose to interview students based on whether we have a need for the courses they list on their application.
- Applicants must attest that they have no Academic Dishonesty violations on file with the Office of Community Standards.
- After an applicant is interviewed, they may be required to obtain one faculty recommendation from each department for which they want to provide tutoring, depending on the grades they've earned. Applicants will be given specific instructions for how to request any required recommendation when they are interviewed. PLEASE DO NOT REQUEST RECOMMENDATIONS IF YOU HAVE NOT BEEN SCHEDULED FOR AN INTERVIEW.
- Applicants must have received a minimum grade of B+ in the course AT SUNY ONEONTA for which they would like to serve as a tutor.
- Once hired, peer tutors must complete three hours of (paid) training before beginning tutoring.
- Once hired, peer tutors are required to take (paid) training workshops toward NTA certification after the initial three hours of training.
- Peer tutors must commit to being present and prompt for all tutoring appointments. (Our students count on their tutors.)
To apply to be a tutor, go to Tracktion and click "I want to be a peer tutor" to begin your application.
We also have work-study students staff our reception desk. If you are interested in working in a fun, fast-paced, student-oriented environment, request a placement in SLC on Handshake. These positions require that the student have Federal Work-Study hours, which is part of some students' financial aid package.
Check Handshake for information on internship opportunities through SLC.