This minor (ATCO) is open to all undergraduates and consists of courses related to coaching, fitness, and sport theory. Students completing this minor will have the basic skills, knowledge and understanding of how to prepare a sport team for success. Some of the courses needed for this minor have prerequisites (shown in italics). Please refer to College Catalog for specifics. Candidates for this minor should declare their intentions as early as possible with The Department of Health and Fitness 205 Chase P.E., (607) 436-2105, to facilitate advisement.
Coaching 10 s.h.
- PHED 207 Theory & Techniques of Coaching (sport specific) (SoS) 3 s.h.
- PHED 222 Philosophy, Principles, & Organization of Athletics in Education (JrS) 3 s.h.
- PHED 321 Health Science Applied to Coaching (JrS) 4 s.h.
Health & Fitness 5 s.h.
- PHED 210 Emergency Care & Prevention 3 s.h. and
Choose one: 2 s.h.
- PHED 159 Body Conditioning PACT -or
- PHED 177 Basic Weight Training PACT
Related Sport Theory 6 s.h.
- PHED 375 Legal Issues in Sport (JrS) 3 s.h. and
Choose one: 3 s.h.
- PHED/PSYC 247 Sport Psychology (SoS and PSYC 100)
- PHED 275 Facilitating Challenge Experiences (SoS)
- PHED/WMST 280 Women in Sports (SoS)
- PHED 303 Sport and American Society (JrS)
Total: 21 s.h.
1. College rules pertaining to curriculum majors also apply to curriculum minors
- Minor GPA of at least 2.0
- All courses must be taken for a letter grade unless offered Pass/Fail only
- One-half (1/2) of the minor coursework must be completed in residence
- No more than two courses may overlap between/among all majors/minors; any excess requires additional coursework
- 2. Check proper course selection, sequence and prerequisite requirements with department of minor