This minor is designed for students seeking to study the practice and art of journalism. The minor is open to any student wishing to study the skills of reporting and information gathering. Interviewing, writing news pieces, and producing news content in various mass media, from broadcast news (television and radio), to print news, (magazines and newspapers), to online news forums. For more information contact the Department of Communication and Media, B-12 IRC, 607.436.3411. Effective Fall 2015.
Core Courses 12 s.h.
- MCOM 210 Writing for the Newspaper
- MCOM 256 Broadcast Announcing
- MCOM 258 New Media
- MCOM 262 Reporting
Selections 6 s.h.
Select two of the following:
- MCOM 105 Intro to Media Law & Regulation
- MCOM 215 Photojournalism
- MCOM 252 Writing for Radio, TV, & Film
- MCOM 257 Fundamentals of Broadcast
- MCOM 260 Multi Camera Video Production
- MCOM 301 Broadcast Journalism
- MCOM 361 MCOM Practicum
- ARTH 221 History of Photography
- ARTS 210 Basic Photography I (Camera & permission of instructor)
- CART 210 Digital Photography
- COMM 215 Interviewing
- FASH 300 Fashion Journalism
- PHIL 231 Media Ethics
TOTAL 18 s.h.
1. College rules pertaining to curriculum majors also apply to curriculum minors
- Minor GPA of at least 2.0
- All courses must be taken for a letter grade unless offered Pass/Fail only
- One-half (1/2) of the minor coursework must be completed in residence
- No more than two courses may overlap between/among all majors/minors; any excess requires additional coursework
2. Check proper course selection, sequence and prerequisite requirements with the department of the minor