This minor is only available to students who matriculated prior to Fall 2018.
This minor is available only to students who major in Communication Studies. This minor will serve as a complement to the major of Communication Studies. It will provide a more focused understanding of the ways in which persuasion, communication, and argumentation are employed in public relations. This minor is designed to take the basic understanding of our Communication Studies major and continue them in a more advanced experience and understanding in public relations. For further information contact the Department of Communication and Media, B-12 IRC, 607.436.3411.
(Pre-Fall 2018 courses in parentheses)
Core Courses 12 s.h.
- COMM 207 Communication Public Relations
- COMM 225 Argumentation
- COMM 244 Communication and Conflict (Conflict Management)
- MCOM 152 Media Writing (MCOM 252 Writing for Radio, Television, and Film)
Selections 6 s.h.
Select two of the following:
CART 101 Computer Art
COMM 215 Interviewing
COMM 250 Negotiation and Mediation
COMM 255 Organizational Communication
COMP 150 Intro to Creative Writing
MCOM 105 Intro Mass Media Law & Regulation
MCOM 210 Writing for the Newspaper
PHIL 231 Media Ethics
TOTAL 18 s.h.
1. University rules pertaining to curriculum majors also apply to curriculum minors
- Minor GPA of at least 2.0
- All courses must be taken for a letter grade unless offered Pass/Fail only
- One-half (1/2) of the minor coursework must be completed in residence
- No more than two courses may overlap between/among all majors/minors; any excess requires additional coursework
2. Check proper course selection, sequence and prerequisite requirements with the department of the minor