Welcome to the Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, and thank you very much for visiting. Our department houses majors in Geology, Meteorology, and Earth Science. Completing our curricula will earn you a Bachelor of Science degree in one of these geoscience fields. From there you will be prepared to compete for a job right out of college or go on to graduate study at any college or university in the country. Our goal is to “teach and mentor students to understand the interactions among Earth systems and society” and we take this very seriously. SUNY Oneonta is a teaching college and students are the #1 priority for faculty in EAS. We have lots to offer.
Dr. Leigh Fall, Chair
Earth and Atmospheric Sciences Department
Oneonta, NY 13820-4015
1-800-SUNY-123 ext. 3707
Earth Science Majors
Upper-Division Class Size
- We offer a variety of field trips around New York, Pennsylvania, the Northeast, southern California, and to several National Parks (e.g., Grand Canyon).
- We offer a unique pre-semester field experience for incoming freshman called GEOFYRST (Geologic Experience Outdoors First Year Regional Summer Trip). See http://www.oneonta.edu/academics/earths for more information.
- Our students can apply for a New York State Professional Geologist Licensure (http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/geo/geolic.htm).
- We offer students opportunities to conduct original research with faculty.
- Our students attend professional meetings to present their research, including the Geological Society of America (GSA), the American Geophysical Union (AGU), the American Meteorological Society (AMS), and the Northeastern Storm Conference.
- Examples of our research facilities and equipment available: scanning electron microscope (SEM), ground penetrating radar (GPR), Linux computer lab, and Davis Weather Station.
- Each fall we host Majors’ Night, a unique evening for current students to meet recently graduated students who are working in their field of study.
- At the end of the spring semester, we get together for a picnic at College Camp, where we grill burgers, hold our traditional tug-o-war, award scholarships, and announce the outstanding senior.
- Each year we award five to seven scholarships, with each ranging between $600 and $2400.