Student Employment Services

Fall 2021 Student Employment Services Office Hours (Netzer 236):

The Student Employment Services office is open by appointment only via Bookings.

If you have any questions about Student Employment, please contact us at or contact the Student Employment Coordinator, Brittany Beach, at or (607) 436 - 2095.

How To Apply for Part-Time Jobs:

To search for part-time campus employment opportunities, please login to Handshake using your SUNY Oneonta email credentials. 

On-Campus Temp Service

On-campus departments advertise part-time employment opportunities on Handshake, SUNY Oneonta's student job and internship board. Students can log in to Handshake using their SUNY Oneonta credentials. It is encouraged that students view and apply for positions as early as possible as on-campus positions fill very quickly.

All temp service students are required to complete employment paperwork at the start of each new academic year. Completed employment paperwork must be submitted to the Student Employment Coordinator. Please click on the "Paperwork" tab above for further instructions.

Federal Work Study (FWS)

The Financial Aid Office is responsible for the administration of the FWS program. The administration of the FWS program is in collaboration with services provided by the Student Employment Coordinator. The Financial Aid Office oversees departmental budgets and student eligibility. Development of FWS sites is accomplished through outreach performed by the Student Employment Coordinator. Students' FWS jobs and assignments are managed by the Student Employment Coordinator, as well as the hiring process for supervisors and students. Students have the opportunity to choose where they would like to work when applying for FWS jobs on Handshake. For questions related to FWS eligibility please contact the Financial Aid Office at (607) 436-2532.

Off-Campus Part-Time Job Opportunities: 

We receive job vacancies from off-campus employers throughout the academic year. Students looking to work off-campus may view job postings on Handshake. The majority of all off-campus positions are located within walking distance or the local bus routes.

Off-campus employers interested in advertising student jobs should create an account on Handshake and connect with SUNY Oneonta.




Student employees will complete the following forms upon receiving an offer of employment:

  • Student Appointment Form
  • Form I-9
  • Form W-4
  • Form IT-2104 or Form IT-2104-E
  • Student Retirement Form
  • Direct Deposit or Reactivation Form

An Important Note About Forms of Identification

In accordance with federal law, all students should be prepared to present original & unexpired acceptable forms of identification* to satisfy employment eligibility verification when completing the Form I-9. 

To satisfy identification requirements, students must provide a List A document or a combination of documents from Lists B and C. See a complete list of acceptable documents that establish employment authorization. Students who would like to work on campus should bring the appropriate documentation with them to Oneonta.

*All forms of ID must be original and unexpired. Photocopies will not be accepted, per U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services' policy.

Virtual students completing an I-9 form may use the following instructions to set up their virtual video conference: Virtual I-9 Packet

Avoid Job Scams

Prevent Job Scams

Student Employment Services focuses on giving all students the best customer service, and we take all steps possible to prevent fraudulent employers from posting jobs through our site. Students who are looking for jobs online, even through SUNY Oneonta at Handshake should be aware of how to avoid job scams. The following is a very helpful article on the top 10 warning signs of Job scams.

Student Employment Services advertises vetted positions through Handshake, our student job platform.

For more resources on avoiding Job Scams visit these links:

Reliable places to research businesses: 

Filing a fraud case: 

For affected victims of online crime and to file a complaint, please visit the Federal Bureau of Investigation Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3)


Student Employment Services
236 Netzer Administration Building

Back to top