Congratulations on your selection as a SUNY Oneonta graduate student, and welcome to our program! We look forward to meeting you in May!
Accept your appointment
Students who have been notified of acceptance to the program must email Ms. Kelly Tiderencel, Assistant Director M.S.-Nutrition and Dietetics Program to confirm appointment to the program. Students should also submit their admissions deposit to the college as directed in acceptance information from the Graduate Admissions office. Program appointments are not final until all required Affiliation Agreements sent from the college have been signed by the appropriate representative of the facility and the college and interns have completed all remaining expectations such as graduating from a regionally accredited college or university, completing health records, and obtaining the required insurance coverage.
We will work on affiliation agreements
You will need an affiliation agreement for any facility in which you will be completing supervised experiential learning hours for more than two weeks. After your acceptance we will reach out to your preceptors who have indicated an affiliation agreement is required on your application to work on these agreements. We will contact you if we have any questions or concerns during this process. Reminder: Your appointment to our online M.S. Nutrition and Dietetics Program cannot be finalized without signed affiliation agreements in place.
Plan to attend orientation
Orientation for 2021-2022 Class: Please note that due to COVID-19 the M.S. Nutrition and Dietetics Program orientation will be held virtually for the 2021-2022 class. The orientation program will be held the week of May 24th and more information will be forthcoming. Please contact the Program Director for more information.
Identify approved medical abbreviations for your facilities
Send Ms. Tiderencel an email indicating that you have received from your hospital facility a listing of the approved medical abbreviations used in that hospital.
It is very important that you identify and learn the medical abbreviations accepted for use in your facilities. There are several general resources available to learn/review these subjects. Options include:
- Medical Terminology: A Programmed Systems Approach, by Genevieve Love Smith, Phyllis E. Davis, Jean Tannis Dennerll, Jean Tannis
- Medical Terminology: A Short Course by Davi-Ellen Chabner
- Medical Terminology for Health Professions by Ann Ehrlich, Carol L. Schroeder
- Medical Abbreviations by Neil M. Davis
Activate your Oneonta user account
When you are accepted to Oneonta, you will receive your PIN# by postal mail or email. You will need this number to activate your Oneonta user account.
- Go to the password management page to create your account.
- A webpage will appear on the screen. Click the “New User Account” button.
- When prompted, put in your Social Security #, and your PIN #.
- Your username will appear;, please write it down carefully so you remember it!
- When prompted for a password, please create your password in compliance with our password complexity requirements. There is a link on the page for that information.
- If you would like to have your Oneonta email forwarded to a different email account, please fill in the “Preferred email address” with that email address.
- Once you click “submit” your account will be ready to use within 10-20 minutes.
To access your courses, go to myOneonta
Get your course materials
You need the required textbooks and supplementary materials chosen by the instructor in order to take a Blackboard course. All information for your first semester materials will be provided to you at or prior to orientation.
Locate your course in the list to find the required texts and materials. You can utilize the mail order bookstore at SUNY Empire State College by dialing 800-847-3000 ext. 365 or 371 or 377 or by faxing to 518-583-0801 with a Visa, MasterCard or Discover credit card. You can also mail in the order form. Allow enough time for delivery.
Secure items needed to meet facility(ies) dress code(s).
Submit the following documentation to our office on or before May 1:
- ServSafe Certificate: All interns are required to be ServSafe Certified throughout the program. Either provide the program director with a copy of your ServSafe Certificate or purchase the ServSafe Course text and study for the exam given during orientation. Email the Assistant Director a copy of your ServSafe Certificate via fax (607) 436-2051 or the mail.
- Course registration: Register online for your summer courses through myOneonta (if you have paid your admissions deposit this will typically become available to you in April). If you are a full-time graduate student you will be registering for NUTR 544, NUTR 557, NUTR 551 and NUTR 548 for the summer semester. For returning alumni, please email the Program Director, Dr. Jennifer Bueche to determine an appropriate course plan. Send the program director a copy of the email or letter.
- Transcript confirmation: If you did not include a final official transcript that indicated that you have earned at least a baccalaureate degree with your application, have two official copies of your final transcript sent to the program director upon your program completion. Email the Assistant Director a confirmation that transcript has been requested.
- Verification statement: When students complete an undergraduate dietetics program, the director of the program provides them a signed "Verification Statement" using a standard form designed by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Students submit this form with their M.S. Nutrition and Dietetics Program application to document that they have completed the required undergraduate educational requirements. If you did not include an edition of a signed Verification Statement from your undergraduate program with your application, have an official copy signed by your program director sent to the Ms Kelly Tiderencel, Assistant Director, M.S.-Nutrition and Dietetics Program. Email the program to confirm that this has been requested.
- Proof of insurance - email the program each proof of coverage
- Graduate students are required to have health insurance coverage for the duration of the program. Graduate students must provide the program and your primary preceptor proof of health insurance coverage. If you would like to get inexpensive health insurance coverage during the program, contact Oneonta's Student Accounts Office at 1-800-SUNY 123 ext 3389.
- Graduate students are required to have professional liability insurance coverage for the duration of the program. Graduate students must provide the program and his/her primary preceptor proof of professional liability insurance coverage. This coverage is in addition to that issued by the college and covers you for times when you are not in a facility that has a contract with the college.
- If you will utilize personal transportation at any time during the program, you are required to have car insurance coverage for the duration of the program. Graduate students must provide the program and his/her primary preceptor proof of car insurance coverage.
Complete HIPAA Training
Please reach out to your facility to complete any required trainings prior to orientation. We will also complete additional HIPAA training during orientation.