A newly created Meditation Room is now open to all SUNY Oneonta students and employees in Lee Hall, Room 11B. The goal of the Meditation Room is to promote wellness, reduce stress, and restore balance through quiet prayer, reflection, contemplation, and meditation.
The Meditation Room is currently open approximately from noon to 6 P.M., Monday through Friday. Hours may vary by week. For up-to-date hours, follow our Instagram page or check the schedule posted outside the room.
Questions? Contact Rebecca.Harrington@oneonta.edu
- This room is for quiet prayer, reflection, contemplation, and/or meditation purposes only. Please do not use this space as a lounge, study room, meeting room, social space, discussion room or for any purpose other than those mentioned above. Special requests will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
- Users must sign the user log upon entry.
- Shoes are to be removed and placed on the provided space upon entering the room.
- Personal items (such as backpacks, jackets etc.) are to be placed in the designated space. Items should not be left in the space unattended. Additionally, no items are to be removed from the room.
- Please clean up after yourself, leave the room in the same condition it was prior to use.
- Please respect the requirement to create and maintain a peaceful, quiet atmosphere.
- Please refrain from chanting, playing music, or other activities that might disturb others. Please use headphones with low volume if music is part of your practice.
- The use of fire, including incense, candles, or other flammable items, is NOT permitted.
- Please keep the door always closed. Do not prop the door open.
- Please respect the room volunteer when they need to close the room and ask you to leave.
- Eating or drinking is not permitted in the space.
- No sex or drugs in the mindfulness space.
- Anyone found to be disruptive will be asked to leave the space and future access might be denied.
- Cell phone or device use is for emergency use only; cell phones should be place on silence upon entry. There are charging lockers available on first come first serve basis.
- No posters, signs, or other displays are to be placed inside or outside of the Meditation Room without permission.
- Any damages to the space or equipment are to be reported immediately to Rebecca.Harrington@oneonta.edu
- Be mindful of room capacity as posted in the room
- In case of an emergency press the panic button or call campus police (607) 436-3550.
- When utilizing the Meditation Room, you are invited to attempt to eliminate any distractions you may have brought with you to the Meditation Room before entering.
- Upon entry, select a comfortable spot in the room, utilizing any props that will assist your prayer, reflection, and/or meditation practice.
- Once settled, attempt to bring awareness to your body, finding a position that feels comfortable to you (sitting or lying down).
- Next, you might focus your awareness of your breathing, noticing the sensation of your breath entering and exiting your body. If your awareness wanders, attempt to bring your attention back to your breath -inhaling a sustaining breath of air, holding breath in your lungs for a few seconds, and then slowly exhaling.
- You might expand your awareness to notice what is happening in the room and in your body, including the sounds, sensations, thoughts, emotions, or anything else you are experiencing in the moment. If you find your awareness drifting, attempt to bring your attention back to your breath and the present moment.
- Please remember: The more you practice, the easier it becomes to stay present with a single point of attention.
- Looking for free guided meditations? Click here.