Applying to work at the Hunt College Union
Please note that we may not be hiring at any given time. Look to the weekly broadcast for specific hiring notices/periods.
Student positions at the Hunt College Union :
- Information Desk (hiring as needed) >Applications due March 15, 2019
- Dragon's Lair (hiring as needed)> Applications due by March 15, 2019
- Office Assistant (hiring as needed)> none at this time
- Marketing Assistant (hiring as needed)> none at this time
- Building Manager (hiring during specific periods only) Applications due March 1, 2019
- Event Support Intern (hiring as needed)> Applications due March 25, 2019
The Hunt College Union employment application is online. You will need to log in to Campus Connection to complete it. We also ask that all candidates for positions complete a demographic survey that will assist us in meeting inclusivity goals.
*ALL INFORMATION PROVIDED ON THE DEMOGRAPHIC SURVEY IS ANONYMOUS AND CONFIDENTIAL.
General Duties and Expectations
Student Managers are selected based on their ability to assume responsibility, to work cohesively with their fellow students, to handle emergency situations calmly and efficiently, and to serve as the primary point persons and trouble-shooters for all activities and events that occur in the Union after regular office hours and weekends. Managers work one night a week and on alternate weekends. The regular pay rate is $13.87 per hour. Managers will work on average approximately 15 hours per week.
Student Managers serve as “Guest Relations Specialists” and provide extraordinary customer service and event management support. Managers will help maintain the safety, security and comfort of our guests by quickly resolving guest concerns and they play a role in maintaining the Hunt Union’s appearance.
Student Building Managers (SBM’s) are selected based on their ability to assume responsibility, to work cohesively with their fellow students, college employees and the public; to handle emergency situations calmly and efficiently; and to serve as the primary point persons and trouble-shooters for all activities and events that occur in the Union. SBM’s practice our department motto "You Have A Place Here" by providing a positive customer service experience to all guests and building occupants; and provide quality event management support. SBM’s help maintain the safety, security and comfort of our guests by quickly resolving guest concerns and communicating with college officials/UPD as needed. They provide leadership, direction and example for our guests and peers. They assume responsibility for the Hunt College Union in the absence of the professional or full-time staff on weeknights and weekends and initiate emergency procedures when necessary. Meet at regular intervals with the Director to report on building operations, events and services. They provide operational and event support for nearly 3,000 bookings per year to more than 1,600 persons per day (based on digital visitor traffic counters installed at entrances).
- Review the Event Management System (EMS) set up sheet prior to start of a shift to ensure all event and meeting rooms, the house audio/visual equipment, and furniture arrangements are set up as requested and operational; they correct and resolve set ups as needed.
- SBM’s are trained to use house A/V equipment including the professional grade lighting system in the ballroom.
- SBM’s confer with event support staff and customers to ensure needs are met or resolved; set up equipment for the next day as per the set-up worksheet.
- Conduct regular rounds of the facility checking rooms and exit doors for security; follow up on events as needed; and monitor fire exits are not obstructed or egress violated; check fire extinguishers; and remove unauthorized flyers from walls, glass, doors, and bathrooms.
- SBM’s enforce relevant federal, state and local laws as well as campus and building policies.
- SBM’s are trained & help facilitate shelter in place emergency procedures as initiated by UPD.
- SBM’s help engage or assist persons in crisis and work in collaboration with UPD to interact with emotionally distressed and/or agitated patrons.
- Plan, provide and evaluate programming with LEAD credit opportunities.
- Assist in the management of department social media accounts (Instagram).
- SBM’s will monitor NWS weather radios, campus information & media sources and communicate with department staff and UPD as needed.
- Manage all bulletin boards in the facility to maintain current postings.
- Phone in or submit work requests for repairs as necessary (plumbing, heating, electrical, telecom, card access or emergency repairs); take photos as necessary for nightly reports.
- SBM’s will exercise crowd management protocols directed by Office of Facilities for events in ballroom, or building wide when capacity is highest.
- Work in tandem with custodial staff to remove garbage or clean areas when needed.
- SBM’s provide leadership by providing supervision and support to information desk associates and provide guidance to event support and Dragon’s Lair staff. Contribute in the selection, training, and evaluation of fellow student staff.
- Assist patrons with Urgent Room Requests and record in EMS.
- Provide assistance with patrons checking out equipment for out-of-building use and Event Pass Check-in tablets based on established procedures.
- Assist in monitoring the electronic waste collection and food shelf programs.
- Prepare the building for opening on the weekends and close nightly based established protocols; ensure the Information desk area tickets/keys/cash drop boxes are secure and all cabinets and drawers are secure before departure.
- Assist in handing out visitors passes and processing lost in found, and key check out when Information Desk Associates are not available.
- SBM’s participate in department assessment activities.
- SBM’s are familiar and will use the department and campus websites, Campus Connection, Trello, Facebook, shift logs, and other resources to retrieve frequently requested information on departments, events and persons; Managers will file regular shift reports in Trello.
- SBM’s will check their personal email account and required work reporting mechanism (Trello, GROUPME, Facebook Log) regularly and reply to requests from managers or co-workers in a timely fashion.