This program draws on the strengths of the humanities, social science, and other areas of the college including our commitment to community involvement as exemplified through the Center for Social Responsibility and Community. It requires students to develop an internship or study abroad, preferably both. Students planning to complete requirements for this minor must make all arrangements with the Africana & Latino Studies Department, 270 Fitzelle, 607.436.3449.
*revised Sociology Department course codes effective Fall 2016. Previous course codes in parentheses.
Core Courses 9 s.h.
Select three of the following:
- ALS 273 Race, Gender, Class, and Culture
- HIST 120 Making of the Modern World
- PHIL 102 Ethics
- PHIL/ALS 160 Urban Philosophical Dilemmas
Electives 9 s.h.
Select three from at least two different disciplines
- ALS 262 Topics in Racism OR HIST/ALS 264 African American History II
- ALS 395 Senior Seminar in Africana-Latino Studies (if not used for capstone)
- ALS 397 Africana & Latino Studies Internship
- ANTH 201 North American Indians OR ANTH 227 Cultural Identities
- GEOG 230 Geography of Culture & Environment OR GEOG 233 Urban Geography
- HIST/ALS 104 Introduction to African History OR POLS/ALS 265 African Politics
- HIST/ALS 272 Modern Latin America OR WMST/ALS 252 Latinos on the Move OR POLS/ALS 267 Latin American Politics
- HIST 284 American Ethnic History OR HIST/ALS 288 Borderlands: Latino/Latinas in US
- PHIL/ALS 259 Democracy and Race OR PHIL/ALS 260 Philosophy of Protest
- POLS 218 American Social Welfare Policies and Politics
- POLS 235 Environmental Politics and Policy OR SOCL 244 Environmental Sociology OR PHIL 230 Environmental Ethics
- POLS 243 Civil Rights and Liberties OR POLS 245 Law, Courts and Politics
- POLS/PSYC/SOCL 278 Prisons & Prisoners in American Society (1 s.h.)
- POLS 283 International Political Economy OR POLS/ALS 265 African Politics
- POLS 288 International Human Rights
- PSYC 243 Psychology of Women OR SOCL 237 Sociology of Women
- FAMS 361 American Families in Poverty
- SOC 286 (SOCL 250) Social Change OR SOC 240 (SOCL 260) Social Class
- SOC 242 (SOCL 261) Sociology of Ethnic Relations
- CRJ 240 (SOCL 279) Race, Crime and Justice
- SOC 216 Collective Behavior and Social Movements (SOCL 282 Social Movements)
- WLIT/ALS 257 Modern Black Literature OR ALIT 207 Survey of Environmental Literature
- WMST 212 Women of Resistance
- WMST/ALS 261 Women of Mixed Racial Descent OR WMST/ALS 269 Women of Color
Capstone Experience 3 s.h.
Any singular selection of courses or options listed below with program coordinator approval.
- ALS 395 Senior Seminar in Africana-Latino Studies
- ALS 397 Africana and Latino Studies Internship or a Senior Seminar as approved by program coordinator OR any study abroad program approved by program coordinator.
*Explanatory note: For ALS 395, the completion of 15 s.h. in major refers to semester hours in the ALS major, though the implied understanding is that the department chair of course instructor can approve course enrollment
TOTAL 21 s.h.
1. College rules pertaining to curriculum majors also apply to curriculum minors
- Minor GPA of at least 2.0
- All courses must be taken for a letter grade unless offered Pass/Fail only
- One-half (1/2) of the minor coursework must be completed in residence
- No more than two courses may overlap between/among all majors/minors; any excess requires additional coursework
2. Check proper course selection, sequence and prerequisite requirements with the department of the minor