A special talent review request is an opportunity to showcase your talents and for them to be actively considered as a supplement to the evaluation of your application. This program is designed for first-year students who intend to major in Digital & Studio Art, Music, Music Industry, or Theatre if admitted to SUNY Oneonta.
Each major has unique special talent requirements. Please review those requirements below and adhere to all dates and deadlines. Questions regarding the special talent process should be directed to email@example.com. Please include 'Special Talent' in the subject line of your email.
All requested materials must be received by January 20, 2023.
If your required materials are not received by the deadline, your application will not be reviewed through the special talent program.
Requirements by Major:
Digital & Studio Art Special Talent Requirements
- A statement detailing your area(s) of interest in art, and your commitment to enroll in the Digital & Studio Art program. Please include a summary of your artistic training and/or experiences.
- One letter of recommendation from a teacher who can speak to your artistic talents and abilities. This recommendation is in addition to any submitted with your application and is specific to the special talent review.
- Electronic files of 12-15 images of your artwork and a list indicating size, medium and other relevant information of the submitted art. We are looking for either a variety of samples in different media or a coherent body of work in one medium. Samples may include sculpture, drawings, paintings, graphic design, digital art, photography, ceramics, animation, web design, and printmaking.
We will give consideration to the following when reviewing your materials:
- Creativity and evidence of artistic potential
- Curiosity and ambition
- Craftsmanship and skill
- Presentation and cleanliness
Music & Music Industry Special Talent Requirements
Music majors: Complete the audition request form. Once you submit the audition request form, you will be contacted by the Music Department to schedule your audition. Music Industry applicants are not required to audition.
Music & Music Industry Majors:
- A personal statement detailing why you are interested in studying Music or Music Industry at SUNY Oneonta
- A current resume or summary of music training and/or experience.
- One letter of recommendation from a teacher who is familiar with your music work and can comment on your talent, experience, abilities, work ethic, etc. This recommendation is in addition to any submitted with your application and is specific to the special talent review.
Theatre Special Talent Requirements
- A personal statement detailing why you are interested in studying theatre at SUNY Oneonta. Please include a summary of your theatre training and/or experience, and what you hope to do after college.
- A current resume
- One letter of recommendation from a teacher who is familiar with your theatre work and can comment on your talent, experience, abilities, work ethic, etc. This recommendation is in addition to any submitted with your application and is specific to the special talent review.
- Audition/Portfolio: You may submit materials for one or both of the following categories:
- Acting & Performance: Please submit a digital video showcasing your acting, singing, dancing, directing or other special skills or talents. The video must include a two-minute monologue in which your entire body is visible. The total length of the video must not exceed four minutes.
- Design & Technology: Please submit a portfolio showcasing your experience doing stage work and/or theatrical design of sets, costumes, lighting, scene painting, makeup, etc. The portfolio should offer a visual record of your design or construction projects from initial planning to final results (drawings, sketches, photographs, etc.) The format of the portfolio is flexible, but make sure it is designed to show you at your best.
If you are unable to provide a portfolio, please provide information about crews you have worked on or other roles you have had working in technical theatre.
Students must submit an application to SUNY Oneonta before they can be considered for special talent review. Once you have submitted an application, please use the application status page to submit the required talent application materials. Letters of recommendation must be submitted to the Office of Admissions directly from the teacher or guidance office.
All submissions must be clearly identified with your name and should be submitted as one package/submission. All submissions must meet the specific requirements indicated. If you previously submitted samples of your work please resubmit your portfolio as outlined above. You must submit your materials by the deadline listed above.