International students (non-US residents or citizens) applying for undergraduate exchange or degree programs at SUNY Oneonta must apply online and submit the required documents by its deadline. This includes the following:
Freshman (First Year) Applicants: If you graduated, or are about to graduate, from a secondary/high school, and have never matriculated/attended any colleges.
Transfer Applicants: If you were admitted and attended a college (inside or outside of the USA). You must submit your official college transcript from that college. If you attended more than one college, you must submit official transcripts from all colleges attended.
We will communicate all requests for additional information and your admission decision through email, therefore we require a valid email address and ask that you check it frequently. Once your application is complete and all required documentation has been received, your application will be reviewed.
Required Steps and Documentation for International Undergraduate students:
- If your school or national education department does not provide transcripts, please provide a certified record of the courses and examinations taken. This would include Government Examinations certificates such as GCSE “O” level.
- Freshman: Submit official secondary/high school transcript(s) (mark sheets) including date of graduation—in the original language and in a translated English version.
- Transfer: You must submit official transcripts from all colleges attended. If you have less than 24 college credits you must also submit your high school transcript in both original language and a translated English version.
- Foreign Course Evaluation: You must obtain an evaluation of your non-US university transcript(s) from a credential evaluation service that is a member in good standing with the National Association of Credential Evaluation Service (NACES). You can visit the NACES website for information about these services. The evaluation reports must be mailed directly to the SUNY Oneonta Office of Admissions.
- SUNY Oneonta requires that international students applying for undergraduate programs confirm their level of English proficiency to be considered for acceptance. Please refer to the following table below for minimum exam grades recognized by SUNY Oneonta.
Standardized Tests and English Language Proficiency Scores Test Minimum Score TOEFL 75 (Institution Code 2542) IELTS 6.0 (Institution Code 902) iTEP 3.7 ELS 112 Level Enclose copy of your ELS Certificate with application or upon completion of ELS program
- Exemptions: Freshmen applicants who have attended a High school in the United States must submit SAT/ACT scores. Transfer applicants from an accredited college within the USA with an AA or AS, students with two semesters of successful academic coursework including successful completion in a Composition 100 course and in general education courses (humanities, social sciences, natural sciences, mathematics) may also be exempt.
- In compliance with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) regulations, all international applicants must provide evidence of sufficient funds available for their studies. Bank statement amounts should total no less than $38,000 USD. Financial documentation must be in English and must be in United States Dollars (USD) or shown at the applicable conversion rate.
- Complete and submit the SUNY Oneonta Financial Statement (PDF) with original financial documents/banks statements verifying the availability of funding for undergraduate study in the United States.
Submit 250-500 word autobiographical essay in English. It can address one of the following:
- Reasons for selecting your field of study
- Special interests and abilities
- Plans for further study and/or employment after completing your degree
- Your family background
- Submit a letter of recommendation from a teacher or counselor. Recommendations must be submitted as a PDF.
- Submit a recent copy of your Passport photo page. Passport must be valid at least six months after your entry into the United States.
- If you are already in the United States on an academic program, passport must be valid at least six months after the initial start date of your first semester at SUNY Oneonta.
- Transfer students must also submit a copy of Current I-20 and Transfer-In Form if currently studying in the United States.
Please send transcripts and other application materials to:
Office of Admissions
108 Ravine Parkway
Oneonta, NY 13820 USA
IMPORTANT APPLICATION NOTE
International degree-seeking/exchange students that receive acceptance from SUNY Oneonta are required to have the F-1 Visa before entering the US to begin their program. Please refer to the “Form I-20” Required Steps and Documentation” tab for steps to complete this requirement. You may also refer to the U.S. Department of State Travel website for more information and an overview of student visa issuance from the US Department of State.
SUNY Oneonta uses email as its primary method of communication. Nearly all communications related to the application will sent via email so applicants must make sure that the email address provided on their application is correct. Applicants should also add SUNY Oneonta (email@example.com) to their contacts to avoid important notifications being sent to spam folders. Acceptance letters will be mailed to the permanent address submitted on the application.