SUNY Oneonta strives to enroll an academically well-qualified and diverse student body. All applications are individually reviewed based on a variety of criteria, including:
- A competitive and challenging academic program with courses related to your intended major;
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5. Education majors must have a GPA of 3.0 or greater;
- Students who wish to major in music must pass a required performance audition.
- Students who wish to major in Art and Design (BFA) must submit a portfolio for review.
In addition to your SUNY Application or Common Application, the following materials are required:
- Official college transcripts from all institutions attended
- Official transcripts must arrive at the Office of Admissions from the college in a sealed envelope or through a certified electronic process. Photocopies and faxes will not be accepted.
- Official final high school transcript or GED/TASC Score Report
- Official SAT or ACT scores may also be requested if you have earned less than 24 college credits and have been out of high school for less than five years
A gap statement may be requested to explain what a student was doing during times that are not accounted for on an application. (When they were not enrolled in classes, or there are semesters that are not accounted for on a college transcript) You can email or mail a statement to your Admissions Counselor that explains what you were doing during semesters that you were not attending college after high school graduation and excluding summers.
Mid-term grades may be requested when a student has earned less than 24 college credits, is academically borderline, or is in their first semester at a new institution.
Mid-Term grades can be mailed, emailed, or faxed using the Mid-Term Grade Report Form
- A mid-term grade report or web grades provided by your institution are also acceptable if actual letter grades are provided; we cannot accept P/F for Pass/Fail or S/U for Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory.
IMPORTANT APPLICATION NOTE
SUNY Oneonta uses email as its primary method of communication. Nearly all communications related to the application will sent via email so applicants must make sure that the email address provided on their application is correct. Applicants should also add SUNY Oneonta (email@example.com) to their contacts to avoid important notifications being sent to spam folders. Acceptance letters will be mailed to the permanent address submitted on the application.