Transferring Credit

A maximum of 75 credits can be transferred from a regionally accredited institution.

The General Education requirements at SUNY Oneonta will be fulfilled if a student completes any of the following degrees upon transferring:

  • A Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree
  • An Associate of Arts or Associate of Science from any SUNY institution

Within 2 weeks of your acceptance, you will be able to view your DegreeWorks audit in myOneonta. Your DegreeWorks audit is based on the official transcript(s) sent from the college(s) attended and shows how your credits transfer and satisfy current SUNY Oneonta degree requirements.

Please refer to the Academic Catalog for more information on General Education requirements for Childhood Education and Early Childhood/Childhood Education majors.

The Business Department and the Professional Education Unit have a statute of limitations on credits transferred into their programs.

Course equivalencies are based on current information. Equivalencies are reviewed frequently and are subject to change without notice.

Inclusion on this site is not a guarantee of transferability, but rather, a guide to Oneonta equivalencies.

ABOUT EQUIVALENCIES: Courses from other academic institutions may be determined to be:

  • equivalent – This course is, essentially, the same as a course offered at SUNY Oneonta, and fulfills the same major and/or general education requirement(s).
  • elective within a department (example: PSYC 10E) – This course has not been determined to be equivalent to any courses offered at SUNY Oneonta; it MAY, however, fulfill major and/or general education requirements. Upon a student’s acceptance to SUNY Oneonta, it is possible to have electives re-evaluated by the relevant department(s) for possible equivalencies.
  • elective (example: ELEC 10E) – This course has no equivalent at SUNY Oneonta, and does not fit into any academic department. The credits may transfer in and apply toward the total number of credits required for graduation, but will not satisfy major or general education requirements.

If a course is not listed, it has not been previously evaluated, and will likely transfer in as an elective until it has been reviewed by the appropriate department.

Prospective students: Within two weeks of your acceptance, you will be able to view your transfer credits through DegreeWorks (DW) at myOneonta. The DW audit is preliminary and subject to change. If you are unable to view your DW audit after two weeks after your acceptance, please contact your Admissions Counselor.

Current students: You must receive prior approval from Academic Advisement before taking courses at another institution.

Access Course Equivalency Tool

Official college transcripts must be submitted from all institutions previously attended to be awarded transfer credit.

If you accept your offer of admission, you must have a final official transcript(s) sent to the Office of Admissions. This transcript should:

  • include all coursework completed prior to enrolling at SUNY Oneonta
  • post any degree(s) received
  • have no incomplete or in progress grades

It is important to get your final official transcript(s) to us as soon as possible. Without it, we cannot complete your file, review all transfer credit and we may not be able to admit you into certain programs. Your financial aid disbursement and course registration may also be affected.

Transfer Education Majors: If you do not send a final official transcript(s) showing a 3.0 cumulative GPA, you cannot declare Education as your major, and you cannot attend orientation as an Education major or register for education courses.

Many students earn college credit while in high school. These credits can come from Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), College Level Examination Program (CLEP) or college courses. To see how this credit will transfer, please view our Course Equivalency Tool.

  • AP test scores of 3 or better are accepted.
  • Higher Level IB Exam scores of 4 or better are accepted. Standard Level IB Exam scores of 4 or better receive credit only when an IB Diploma is also earned.
  • CLEP test scores over the American Council of Education (ACE) recommendations are accepted.
  • Students must earn a grade of D or better in an accredited college course(s) to receive credit.

Official transcripts/scores from agency/institutions are required.

Admitted students who have been granted preliminary transfer credit, viewable through DegreeWorks in myOneonta by the Office of Admissions have the option to request a reevaluation of transfer credit for specific courses within their declared major and major-related coursework.

Pre-matriculated students

For any admitted student who has not yet registered for coursework or attended orientation at SUNY Oneonta, requests are facilitated by the Office of Admissions. Any admitted student who has not started taking courses at SUNY Oneonta may complete the Pre-Matriculation Transfer Credit Reevaluation Request form. Please complete the form and upload a course syllabus for each course you wish to have reevaluated as a PDF or Word document. Questions regarding the course reevaluation process can be emailed to Donna Johnson, Coordinator of Articulation and Transfer Credit, at

If you are interested in transferring into our education program, sample coursework such as papers, projects and tests must be submitted electronically as an attachment in addition to the course syllabus.

The Office of Admissions recommends that students use this process as a starting point for all transfer credit reevaluation requests.

Post-matriculated students

For any admitted student who has registered for courses or attended orientation at SUNY Oneonta, requests for reevaluation of transfer credit are facilitated by the Office of Academic Advisement.

Students transferring from two-year SUNY programs

For admitted students transferring directly from a two-year associate’s degree program at a SUNY campus, appeals are facilitated by the Office of the Registrar.

The SUNY transfer credit appeal process is designed for pre- or post-matriculated students transferring from a two-year SUNY Associate’s degree program into a SUNY four-year institution. If you have questions concerning the evaluation of your credit and/or whether or not you qualify for the SUNY appeal process, please contact a transfer counselor in the Office of Admissions.

Back to top