Internships & REUs
Get a leg up: Student internships are available in a number of government offices as well as private firms (consulting, forecasting, etc). First check the list below and see what is available that interests you. Then, talk to your advisor. It may be desirable or even necessary to register for College credit to qualify for those internships. Your advisor can work through the application forms for internship courses.
- The Career Development Center has a webpage with links to scholarship applications and the Helen & Michael Casper Fellowship for internship support. This fellowship is open to all students and the goal is to provide a meaningful difference for students who wish to participate in internship opportunities.
External Internship Links
Click on these for information and/or contact information. Many are for summer but others could be any time. Check the application deadline on internships before you do anything.
- New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC)
- New York City Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) internships
- Student Conservation Association
- Internships and Scholarships from NOAA This is a website with links to various programs in NOAA. It's well worth your time to find the opportunities buried in their links.
- The New York State Department of Transportation hires students as temporary construction inspectors during the summer. While technically not an internship of REU, you do get experience. And they will pay you! Geology majors, if you have just one year of courses, you qualify. Click this link to learn how to apply.
- Geoscientists in the Parks (GSA) National Parks Service internships.
More links will be added as we get them.