- Call University Police immediately at 607-436-3550 if you think a crime is occurring or has occurred. You can also report a crime at the University Police station.
- Be prepared to describe the situation, suspect or stolen item.
- Be prepared to give accurate descriptions of race, age, gender, appearance, location, etc.
- Immediately report any new information to 607-436-3550.
- Immediately report things that seem unusual, out of place, or any suspicious activity.
- Report anonymously through Silent Witness.
A threatening individual is any person you determine to be a threat to you or those around you. The individual may have a weapon or may just make you feel uncomfortable. Trust your instincts.
- Call University Police at 607-436-3550, whether the individual poses an immediate threat or not. Be prepared to describe the situation.
- Be realistic about your ability to protect yourself. Stay calm and avoid conflict. If possible, seek protection in a classroom/office that can be locked and has phone access. Leave the building immediately if this does not put you at risk.
- Remember: Only you can decide your best course of action.
This preparedness guide for students, faculty, staff and visitors has been provided to you by SUNY Oneonta. We encourage you to familiarize yourself with how SUNY Oneonta plans for emergencies, and to improve your understanding of emergency preparedness and response. This guide is based on presently available information, as well as current federal- and state-recommended protective actions. In every situation, common sense and awareness of personal safety should take precedence over any action described in this guide.