Instructions for Request for Promotion or Salary Increase
(In-rank and Rank-to-rank Reclassifications)
“Promotion” for this purpose shall mean an increase in a professional employee’s basic annual salary accompanied by movement to a higher salary level with a change in title resulting from a permanent significant increase in the employee’s duties and responsibilities as a consequence of a permanent increase in the scope and complexity of function of the employee’s position.
“Salary Increase” An employee who has been assigned a permanent and significant increase in duties and responsibilities as a consequence of a permanent increase in the scope and complexity of function of the employee’s position.
- Before applying for promotion or salary increase, be sure that your Performance Program is current and on file, and you have had an evaluation within the last year.
- It is your responsibility as the applicant to fill out the application and gather supporting documentation.
- Your cover letter should include the following: specific and detailed changes in duties and responsibilities; level of autonomy in your position; and your level of supervisory responsibilities.
- Supporting documentation must include at least your two (2) most recent Performance Programs or as many as you feel are needed to demonstrate how your responsibilities have changed and the general percentages of effort for each item within your most recent program.
- Supporting documentation can include items such as: evaluations written by the immediate or next level supervisor, letters of recommendation from colleagues, letters of commendation, organizational chart or other items related to your request.
Criteria upon which a decision is based:
- Criteria for Promotion as listed in the Memorandum of Understanding (Appendix A-28.III.E.2 of the State/UUP Agreement). Copies are available in the Office of Human Resources.
- Duties and responsibilities as outlined in your Performance Program.
- Obtain the “College at Oneonta UUP Professional Request for Salary Increase or Promotion” form from Human Resources.
- Complete the application form consistent with instructions on the application and listed in this document.
- Gather supporting documentation.
- Check all boxes that are applicable to your request. If you are requesting a promotion, fill in your present Title, Salary Level (SL), and Salary and the requested Title, Salary Level, and Salary. If you are requesting only a salary increase, fill in only your present salary and the requested salary. Please keep a copy of your submission for your records.
- All employees will be notified of the decision or recommendation at each level of the process.
- An employee’s request for promotion or salary increase shall be regarded as “denied” at any organizational level below that of the college president if such request is not acted upon within 45 calendar days of receipt by that organizational level.
- If an application is denied or not recommended for approval at any level below the College President, the employee may appeal the decision to the College Review Panel.
- Applications for Promotion (change in title, salary level and increase in salary) which are disapproved may not be resubmitted for a period of eighteen (18) months, or until the employee’s performance program has been changed, whichever is sooner.
- Applications for salary increase, approved or disapproved, may not be resubmitted for a period of eighteen (18) months, or until the employee’s performance program has changed, whichever is sooner.
- Salary increases will be effective as soon as practical following vice presidential or, if applicable, Presidential approval.
Resources Appendix A-28.III.E.2 of the State/UUP Agreement