Spring Policies and Procedures



In response to legislation in New York State, the College assigned all students an Identification Number unique to Oneonta known as your Oneonta ID#. Although not required, you are strongly encouraged to learn and use your Oneonta ID# when conducting any business with the College.

  1. You must use a computer with access to the World Wide Web.
  2. Log into your myOneonta account using your Oneonta username and password.
  3. In the Student Links box, Click on “Web Services.”
  4. Click on “Personal and User Account Information.”
  5. Click on “View your Oneonta ID.”


A student must attend one of the first two class hours in each course as well as the first laboratory (if applicable) or the instructor may declare the student’s place in a course vacant, and give it to another student.


Failure to read this bulletin does not excuse students from the requirements and regulations described herein. The College reserves the right to cancel any course because of insufficient enrollment or other reasons. Should cancellation be necessary, a student may choose another course or request a full refund.



  • Students who register after January 22 will be assessed a Late Registration Fee of $40.00.
  • The College reserves the right to cancel any course which does not maintain sufficient enrollment to warrant its offering.



Returning Students
Where: World Wide Web -or- Registrar’s Office, Netzer 130
When: November 23, 9:00 am


Where: World Wide Web -or- Registrar’s Office, Netzer 130
When: November 23, 9:00 am


Returning Students
Where: World Wide Web -or- Continuing Education Office, 20 Hunt College Union
When: January 4 through January 22

(Information will be sent to new non-degree undergraduates concerning specific time for registration.)



A student may elect to receive Pass/Fail grading in a course, provided the following conditions are met. Pass/Fail grading must be done at the Registrar’s Office (Netzer 130).

  1. A student must have successfully completed one full semester’s work at Oneonta to be eligible for this option.
  2. Except for courses for which a department has designated Pass/Fail grading, a student may elect only one course per academic semester or summer session to a total of four (4) such semester or summer courses for his/her entire college program.
  3. Normally, a student may not elect Pass/Fail grading for required courses in his/her major or specialization, minor, courses taken to satisfy a Basic Curriculum or General Education requirement, or for courses designated by a department as not subject to student option.
  4. A student may take a Pass/Fail option in a required supporting course that is not listed as part of the major field requirement.
  5. A student who has completed his/her major field requirement may take additional hours in his/her major department for Pass/Fail credit.
  6. Certain exceptions to the policy apply with regard to Physical Education (PHED) Activity courses. A student may elect Pass/Fail grading in PHED Activity in any semester, even concurrently with another Pass/Fail option course; and may accumulate a maximum total of 4 s.h. in PHED beyond the established maximum total credits for Pass/Fail option toward a degree.
  7. The student must request Pass/Fail grading at the Registrar’s Office. The final day for changing the request will be the last day of the Add/Drop Period. A student indicating Pass/Fail status may change to a graded basis by indicating this change on an Add/Drop Form. This form must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office before two-thirds of the course has been completed. The final date for these changes shall be set by the Registrar. See Key Dates and Deadlines, a list of important dates published each semester and distributed to students and faculty.
  8. The criterion for “Pass” will be the achievement of the minimum requirements of the course.
  9. The “Pass/Fail” will be entered on the student transcript and the hours successfully completed will count as credits for graduation. Hours graded “Pass/Fail” will not be included in the computation of the student’s grade point average.



Degree Students

All students must be formally admitted to the College. Those interested in an undergraduate degree must apply through the Admissions Office. Those interested in a graduate degree program must apply through the Graduate Admissions Office.

Non-degree Students

Non-degree students are those who are interested in taking courses for personal or professional enrichment. Non-degree students must apply for admission through the Continuing Education Office. Students may not apply for non-degree status if they have previously been a matriculated student at the College at Oneonta. These students must apply for readmission through the Academic Advisement Office.

Non-degree graduate students must apply through the Graduate Admissions Office.

Visiting Students

Visiting students are those undergraduate students in good standing at another accredited college or university who are taking courses at the College at Oneonta. Official transcripts of all previous college work must be submitted to the College’s Continuing Education Office.

Visiting students who desire to transfer credit from the College at Oneonta must submit a written request to the Registrar’s Office for an official transcript to be sent to their home institution. Students are strongly encouraged to seek written approval from their home institution prior to enrolling in courses at the College at Oneonta.


  1. You must use a computer with access to the World Wide Web.
  2. Log into your myOneonta account using your Oneonta username and password.
  3. In the Student Links box Click on the Course Registration icon.

Important Things to Know

  1. When you register for courses, always print your schedule when you are done. Your printed schedule will be your receipt for your registration, so check it carefully to be sure it is correct.
  2. To protect your privacy you must:
    1. Click EXIT at the top right of the Web Services Page.
    2. In the top right corner of the myOneonta window click Logout.
    3. Close your web browser.


The Registrar’s Staff will be available to help in the Registrar’s Office or by telephone at 607-436-2531. The hours of the help line will be: Monday-Friday, 9:00 am-4:30 pm.


All students taking 6 or more credits must meet the following 2 immunization requirements to be eligible to attend SUNY Oneonta. NYS Public Health Law 2165 - proof of immunization against measles, mumps, and rubella. Proof of vaccine status consists of two doses of live measles vaccine administered after 12 months of age and after 1/1/1957; one dose of live mumps vaccine and one dose of live rubella vaccine both administered after 12 months of age. NYS Public Health Law 2167 - provide each student with information about meningococcal disease and prevention strategies and also requires students to provide the Health Center with vaccination date or a record declining the vaccination. The College cannot permit students to attend more than 30 days without complying with these laws.


Billing and Payment

Semester bills for matriculated undergraduates are available online in December. Postcard notifications are mailed to the student’s permanent address. Included in the bill are charges for tuition, the comprehensive student fee, room and dining (if applicable) and optional fees. Matriculated undergraduates are billed based on full-time attendance regardless of registration at the time of billing. Part-time students may adjust their bill based on anticipated enrollment. Graduate and non-degree students are billed based on actual registration with a billing due date of January 13. Graduate and non-degree students will receive a postcard.

How to Clear Your Bill

To clear your bill you must sign the semester Authorization Statement and submit appropriate payment. The Authorization Statement is required for all students, even those whose charges are covered by financial aid or other credits.

Tuition and Fees

Information about appeals/waivers for the Comprehensive Student Fee. Information about withdrawing from a class(es) and liability.


The appropriate tuition rate is determined by a combination of student status and course level.

  1. Undergraduate degree candidates will be charged at the undergraduate tuition rate.
  2. Graduate degree candidates will be charged at the graduate rate.
  3. Non-degree students will be charged based on the course level as shown below.
    100 to 499 level courses - undergraduate
    500 to 699 level courses - graduate

Special Charges

  • Late Registration - $40.00
  • Late Add/Drop - $20.00
  • Administrative Fee - $30.00
  • Late Payment - $30.00
  • Returned Checks - $20.00


It is critical that you follow the proper withdrawal procedure should you decide not to attend one or more classes or to discontinue attendance once you have begun. Students who are dropping their entire course load may not use the Schedule Adjustment Form to do so. Degree-seeking students must process a Voluntary Withdrawal form with the Student Development Office (Netzer 119).

Continuing education students must report their withdrawal to the Office of Continuing Education. You must follow withdrawal procedures if you decide not to attend one or more courses that you have registered for. If not attending at all, notify the Continuing Education Office, in writing, before the first class session. You will not be charged under these circumstances, and any monies paid will be refunded. If you are in attendance but later withdraw from any course, obtain a withdrawal form from the Continuing Education Office, have the instructor(s) sign the form, and submit the completed form to the Continuing Education Office. Liability for Tuition and Fees depends on the day of withdrawal, as noted below.

Tuition / Fee Liability

If you complete the withdrawal process before the first day of classes, you will not be liable for any charges, and any monies paid will be refunded. If you withdraw on or after the first day of classes, you will have liability (i.e. If you have paid, your refund will be reduced. If you have not paid, you owe the college.) On or after the first day of class of any course, you are liable for the College Fee of $1.70 per hour. Tuition and fee liability is calculated based on the SUNY mandated schedule at the link above.

Federal Financial Aid Eligibility

Federal financial aid is based on the percentage of time the student is in attendance. Eligibility will be calculated as of the day of withdrawal and any unearned portion will be returned to the aid program. The student will be billed for any aid disbursed to the College that is not earned. This calculation will occur whether a student officially withdraws or simply stops attending classes. Please consult the Financial Aid Office for further information.




  • For a course initially taken prior to Fall 1994 and subsequently repeated, the transcript will reflect both courses and grades; both grades will be calculated in the grade point average.
  • For a course initially taken in the Fall of 1994 or thereafter and subsequently repeated, the transcript will reflect both courses and grades; only the higher grade will be calculated in the grade point average.
  • In both cases, credit will be granted only once. In courses that are allowed to be repeated (e.g., COMP 100 to a maximum
    of 6 semester hours), the repeat rule will be applied after the maximum credits are achieved. Exceptions to this (e.g., student fails COMP 100 the first time and wishes to improve GPA via the repeat rule) may be directed to the Committee on Student Progress and Status via the College Registrar (130 Netzer).
  • Beginning Fall 2015, students will be permitted a maximum of one repeat per course. Only the higher grade will count in the student’s GPA. Credit will be earned once. Students who attempt to repeat a course a second time will be dropped from the course by the Registrar.
  • Appeals: Students who wish to appeal the repeat rule may do so via their advisor, who will then submit the request to the appropriate Department Chair, who will then submit the request to the Student Progress and Status Committee for a final decision. Note: This policy does not affect those courses already identified as repeatable (MUSC performance, composition, etc.). Students may only appeal to repeat a course required for their major. If granted, the course may only be repeated one additional time.
  • Students may not repeat a course using the Pass/Fail grading option, a course challenge, or with an independent study. Students may not use transfer courses to replace a grade at Oneonta.
  • Repeating courses may have an impact on financial aid. Students considering repeating courses should discuss it with their financial aid counselor.


  • Graduate students are generally not permitted to repeat a course. Students who attempt to repeat a course will be dropped from the course.
  • Appeals: Students who wish to appeal the repeat rule may do so using the Graduate Appeals Form to outline their request. The student’s faculty advisor and department chair or director of the student’s program each review the form and make recommendations to The Student Progress and Status Committee. The Student Progress and Status Committee reviews and makes recommendations to the Provost or Provost’s designee for final decision.
  • Repeating courses may have an impact on financial aid. Students considering repeating courses should discuss it with their financial aid counselor.


A = 4.00
A- = 3.67
B+ = 3.34
B = 3.00
B- = 2.67
C+ = 2.34
C = 2.00
C- = 1.67
D+ = 1.34
D = 1.00
D- = 0.67
E = 0.00


NR - Grade not reported: This notation will appear in the grade column of academic records and grade reports for courses in which the instructor has not yet submitted a grade. NR notations will be replaced at the time instructor submits an academic grade. A revised grade point average will be calculated.

I - Incomplete: A temporary grade assigned by the instructor, with the student’s consent, whenever, in the instructor’s judgment, an illness or some other unavoidable circumstance has prevented the student from completing course requirements. Incompletes must be completed and final grades assigned by mid-semester of the following semester or they will be converted to failures. See Key Dates for Deadline. Extension of the deadline may be granted by an instructor by notifying the Registrar’s Office. Students must not re- enroll in a course during a subsequent semester in order to complete coursework for courses in which they received an incomplete.

PEN - Pending: A temporary grade assigned by the instructor when in his/her judgment course work has been satisfactory but there is some inadequacy in speech or writing which needs to be remedied. Students in any course may be assigned a PEN grade if their writing is sub-standard. It is the student’s responsibility to satisfactorily complete COMP 100 or work in the Writing Center until his/her work is rated satisfactory by the Director of the Writing Center. Students with PEN grades will not be cleared for graduation.

W - Withdraw: Grade assigned by the Registrar’s Office for courses dropped by the student after the fifth class day of the semester and up to the “Last Day to Drop With a ‘W’”, whether or not the student attended the class. “W” grades may not be assigned by instructors.

WI - Involuntary Withdrawal: Grade assigned by the Registrar’s Office when a student is dropped from a class for poor attendance prior to the mid-semester withdrawal date.

P/P* - Pass: Course in which letter grades (A-E) are not assigned. Instructor will determine minimum requirements necessary for a student to earn a Pass. P* indicates student opted Pass/Fail grading. Credit will be awarded for P/P* grades, but will not affect grade point average.

F/F* - Fail: Course in which letter grades (A-E) are not assigned. Assigned by instructor when minimum requirements have not been met. F* indicates student opted Pass/Fail grading. No credit will be awarded for F/F* grades and grade point average will not be affected.

CH - Course successfully challenged: CH will be assigned and credits will be awarded at the end of the semester in which student successfully challenges a course. CH grades do not affect the grade point average. CH credit is not considered when determining full-time status of a student.

A variety of College offices have the authority to place holds on student records. These holds impact on the ability of a student to pre-enroll, register or to receive official transcripts. ALL HOLDS MUST BE CLEARED PRIOR TO ATTEMPTING TO REGISTER.

In the event of inclement weather, announcements concerning the cancellation of all classes will be made via local media and the college website.


Pay special attention to the notes following any courses in which you are interested.

CRN: This number uniquely identifies each section of each course and is required for registering, adding, and dropping courses.

CATALOG NUMBER (SUBJ & CRSE): This consists of subject abbreviation and course number denoting level. Subjects are arranged alpha-numerically within academic department. Refer to the Index of Course Offerings for abbreviation translations.


001-099 - non-credit courses
100-199 - lower level, introductory, survey, preparatory, and basic undergraduate courses without prerequisites.
200-499 - upper level, intermediate undergraduate courses with at least 3 s.h. of prerequisites.
500-699 - graduate level courses only.

SEC: This reflects the section number assigned to differentiate multiple offerings of the same course.


01-89 - on-campus sections
90-99 - require enrollment via the department offering the course (i.e. Independent Study).
WW - taught on the World Wide Web

CRED: This column reflects the semester hours earned upon successful completion of the course. (Exception: COMP 090, COMP 095, MATH 001, MATH 002, and PROF 095 count toward full-time enrollment, but do not count in earned hours upon completion of the course.) Where no credit is offered, the course is a required lab for the course listed above it. For variable credit courses (i.e. 1-6), students must select the number of credits desired at the time of registration for the course.

TITLE: This may reflect an abbreviated title. Full titles may be found in the College Catalog.


M - Monday
T - Tuesday
W - Wednesday
R - Thursday
F - Friday
S - Saturday
U - Sunday

TIME: This column indicates the start and end time of the course. TBA - To Be Arranged - Check with Department.

CAP/ACT/REM: These columns list (respectively) the maximum number of seats in the course, the actual enrollment in the course, and the number of remaining seats in the course.

INSTRUCTOR: This column lists the faculty member assigned to the course at the time of publication. The college reserves the right to make changes in assignment without prior notice.

DATE (MM/DD): Notations in this column indicate the duration of the course (full semester length or part of term).

LOCATION: This column contains buildings and room numbers. Refer to the Buildings Abbreviations for translations. TBA indicates the location is to be arranged - check with the department/instructor.


ADMN - Netzer Administration Building
AFH - Alumni Field House
ALUM - Alumni Hall
BACN - Bacon Hall
BIOF - Biological Field Station
BUGB - Percy I. Bugbee School
COOP - Cooperstown Campus
DNSN - Denison Hall
FACR - Fine Arts Center
FITZ - Fitzelle Hall
HEAL - Counseling, Health and Wellness Center
HCUN - Hunt College Union (RDTH - Red Dragon Theater)
HECO - Human Ecology Building
HIRC - Hodgdon Instructional Resource Center
LEEH - Lee Hall
MLIB - Milne Library
MORS - Morris Hall

ONLINE - Course Taught on World Wide Web
PHED - Chase Physical Education Building
PSCI - Physical Science Building
SCHU - Schumacher Hall
SCI1 - Perna Science Building
WILS - Wilsbach Hall

COURSE ATTRIBUTES: These attributes apply to undergraduate degree requirements.

General Education 3
M3 - Mathematics
BC3 - Basic Communication
NS3 - Natural Sciences
SS3 - Social Sciences
H3 - Humanities
A3 - The Arts
AM3 - American History
WC3 - Western Civilization
OW3 - World Civilizations
FL3 - Foreign Language


LA - Liberal Arts

OCS - Oral Communication Skills

OER - Open Educational Resource
OL - Distance Learning Format
SL - Service Learning
SUSF - Sustainability Focused
SUSR - Sustainability Related

The Academic Advisement Office will publish a list of courses which may fulfill General Education. These lists are merely a guide. Students must check the Attribute Column in the Schedule of Classes for appropriate attributes. Questions concerning this policy should be directed to the Academic Advisement Office, Netzer 107.

Back to top