About the Program
Earn a master’s degree online in as little as one year at SUNY Oneonta!
Our flexible, online M.S.Ed. in Literacy Education can be completed full or part time. Choose from two options: Birth-Grade 6 or Grades 5-12. Graduates receive a master's in education and meet the educational requirements to receive professional teaching certification in New York State. If you already have a master’s in education and you're interested in getting certified in Literacy Education, you may be able to do so by taking only a few graduate courses.
You can begin the program in the fall, spring or summer.
- Fall entry term (part time only): July 15
- Spring entry term (part time only): January 4
- Summer entry term: May 1
SUNY Oneonta has a strong track record of training teachers at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, and we were the first college in New York State to offer an online literacy education program.
Our innovative curriculum includes clinical experiences that will immerse you in inquiry pedagogy and prepare you to foster creativity, research skills, collaboration and other 21st century competencies in your future students. Many of our program graduates continue incorporating inquiry in their classrooms in creative ways and have become leaders of this type of teaching in their school districts.
Literacy clinics are an important part of this program. In online literacy clinic courses, students tutor children in educational institutions and videotape some of the interactions. There are specific requirements pertaining to this tutoring and technologies. For more information about how online literacy clinic courses are conducted, please contact Literacy Clinic Coordinator Barbara Vokatis.
Applicants interested in any of our graduate education programs please note:
We recognize the COVID-19 pandemic has caused many challenges, disrupted testing and traditional student teaching. Please contact the Graduate Admissions Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 607-436-2523 if you are unable to submit any of the materials required to complete your application so that we may review and advise on possible alternatives.
- Submit a completed application and the non-refundable fee.
- Submit a copy of New York State initial teaching certification in a functionally relevant area. The Emergency COVID certificate can be submitted in lieu of initial certification.*
- Submit an official transcript of an earned Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college.
- Have achieved an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 overall and 3.0 in the major field during the last two years of undergraduate work.
- Submit evidence of passing scores on all NYS certification examinations.
- Have earned at least 3 credits of developmental psychology, child or adolescent development.
- Have earned at least 6 credits in reading or the teaching of reading.
- Submit an essay outlining your specific academic areas of interest and your career goals. What do you anticipate doing in the next ten-year period?
- Submit Test Scores: You are required to submit the results of ONE of the following tests: GRE, edTPA, Miller’s Analogies or Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators.
*Teaching certificates from other states are considered.