Faculty play a critical role in ensuring an inclusive learning environment for all students. Accessibility Resources facilitates providing exam accommodations, assistive technology, and much more. If you have questions about an accommodation or need more information on how to provide them, please contact the Accessibility Resources Office.
Faculty members may:
- Discuss accommodations in a private locations with identified students in their classes.
- Check on the validity of a student's registration for services by contacting Accessibility Resources.
- Consult with both the staff of Accessibility Resources and the student in determining appropriate academic accommodations.
- Help students whom they suspect have a disability by suggesting that the student seek support from the appropriate campus service providers.
Faculty members may not:
- Violate student privacy. Faculty members should not single out students in class or mention any academic adjustment to them in front of their peers. These actions breach privacy.
- Receive or review a student's documentation of a disability unless given a written consent by the student. Likewise, faculty members cannot request information about the student's disability from the campus service providers.
- Refuse a request for an academic adjustment. If an issue arises, such as a safety issue, the faculty member should contact Accessibility Resources to discuss the accommodation request.
- Ask the student if they have a disability if the student is experiencing difficulty in class. The faculty member can suggest the student seek support services and direct them to schedule a meeting with Accessibility Resources.