Non-Degree Study

If you're interested in taking one or more classes but not enrolling full or part time in one of our undergraduate or graduate degree programs, you can register for classes as a non-degree student.

All non-degree students must apply for admission through the Extended and Community Learning Center (ExCL Center) by filling out the non-degree application. In order to be eligible to take courses as a non-degree student, you must:

  • be at least a rising high school senior who has completed or is in the process of completing Regent's requirements.
  • have graduated high school or passed the GED/TASC; or
  • have a cumulative average of a 2.0 from the last college attended.

If you have been dismissed from SUNY Oneonta, you are not eligible to take courses as a non-degree student.

Visiting Students

If you're enrolled at another college but want to take one or more courses during the fall, spring, winter or summer session, you can register as a non-degree student. All summer courses are offered online. Most fall and spring courses meet in person on campus.

Pre-Matriculated Students

If your goal is to eventually enroll at SUNY Oneonta as a degree/matriculated student, you can take courses as a non-degree/non-matriculated student now, as long as you have a 2.0 cumulative GPA from the most recent college you attended!

The most common reasons why you may choose this route:

  • Admissions was already closed/full for the semester you were interested in beginning your studies.
  • You do not meet the academic admissions requirements and need to build your academic record for future consideration as a matriculated student.

SUNY Oneonta Employees

SUNY Oneonta employees can take classes on campus or online as non-degree students. Members of the United University Professions union may be eligible to take one free course per semester or summer/winter session, with a maximum of four courses per year. Partial assistance for additional courses may be available through the SUNY Tuition Waiver program (based on funding). Fees are not covered.

How to Apply

To apply as a non-degree undergraduate or graduate student, please complete the online non-degree application and submit the required applicable documentation outlined below. Decisions will not be made until all materials have been received.

Please complete the online non-degree application. In addition to the non-degree application, applicants must submit following documentation:

  • official HSED or GED score report/completion certificate, or
  • official high school transcript including graduation date or showing award of diploma, or
  • official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended.

High school students, (rising seniors) must also submit letters of recommendation from their guidance counselor and principal.

Deadlines: The application deadline for Winter and Summer terms is the Wednesday before the first week of classes and for Spring and Fall terms the application deadline is the Thursday before the first week of classes.

Maximum Credit Hours: Non-degree students may register for up to 13 semester hours per semester and six semester hours each summer session, but cannot earn more than 24 semester hours total at SUNY Oneonta without enrolling in a degree program.

Placement Exams: You may need to take placement exams in writing, reading and/or math depending on academic history.

Minimum GPA: You must maintain a 2.0 grade point average to be eligible to continue enrollment.

Academic Advising: If you are taking courses with the goal of eventually enrolling in a degree program, either at Oneonta or another college, you must make an individual advisement appointment prior to enrolling in courses. Continuing pre-matriculated students are encouraged to meet with the advisor each semester.

Transferring Credit: If you’re planning to transfer credit from SUNY Oneonta to another college, you must submit an official transcript request to be sent to your home institution through our Registrar's Office. We strongly encourage students to seek written approval from their home institution prior to enrolling in courses at SUNY Oneonta to ensure that credits will transfer.

Code of Conduct: All non-degree students are bound by the rules, policies and regulations outlined in SUNY Oneonta's Student Code of Conduct.

Contact Us

Learn more about the Extended and Community Learning Center by emailing or contacting us at one of our two locations.

Hunt Union

SUNY Oneonta Campus location
215 Hunt Union
Phone: 607-436-2548
Fax: (607) 436-2692
Office hours: Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

ExCL Center at 4 Dietz Street, Oneonta, NY

Downtown Oneonta location
4 Dietz St
Phone: 607-436-2831
Office hours: Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Back to top