Academic Standing

Understanding academic standing is important to a student’s success here at SUNY Oneonta. Academic Standing refers to a student’s status at the college based on their grade point average (GPA) for individual semesters, and across a student’s entire academic career at SUNY Oneonta. The Academic Advisement Team is here to help students learn about what each type of standing means, as well as how to get back into good academic standing.

Types of academic standing include Good Standing, Academic Probation, Reinstatement, and Academic Dismissal.

Good Standing

All SUNY Oneonta students are required to maintain a 2.00 cumulative GPA to remain in good standing. Any student who falls below 2.00 GPA is either placed on academic probation or dismissed from the college. Within the ‘good standing’ range are also recognitions for academic excellence outlined below.

Academic Probation

Students will be placed on academic probation or dismissed if their GPA falls below a 2.0. Once on probation, a student must make significant changes to improve their GPA to be retained by the college. Failure to improve academic performance will result in dismissal from the college.

Reinstatement (Reinstated-on-probation)

Reinstated on Probation means the appeal was accepted and the student may return on academic probation. The same policies apply for students reinstated on probation as students who are placed on academic probation.

Academic Dismissal

Students who do not make satisfactory progress towards an undergraduate degree may be dismissed from the college. Students may choose to submit a dismissal appeal. Students who wish to apply for readmission should refer to the Office of Admissions for more information about Undergraduate Readmission.

Probation and Academic Dismissal

If a student’s cumulative GPA falls below 2.00, they may be placed on probation or be academically dismissed from the college.

  • Once a student’s overall GPA is above 2.0, the student will be moved to good standing.
  • Students are dismissed or placed on probation when either their cumulative or semester GPA falls under a 2.00 or they fail to make reasonable progress toward degree completion. Two consecutive or three non-consecutive semesters on probation may also result in academic dismissal.
  • Students who were readmitted after a previous academic dismissal must maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA calculated using only courses completed after readmission. Failure to do so may result in academic dismissal.

Academic Standing by GPA




1st semester, first-year student



1st semester transfer



2nd semester



All Others


Not Available

Grades and Honors

Superior Performance

Dean’s List: 3.50 or higher semester GPA (min. 12 sh of graded credits)
Provost’s List: 4.00 semester GPA (min. 12 sh of graded credits)

Graduating with Honors

SUNY Oneonta may award an Honors Degree to students who have completed 45 semester hours of graded (A-E) residency credit. The three categories of honors degrees are (based on cumulative SUNY Oneonta GPA):

Cum Laude: 3.50-3.69
Magna Cum Laude: 3.70-3.89
Summa Cum Laude: 3.90-4.00

Academic Department Honors

Graduating students who meet all degree and major requirements, who also have a 3.50 or higher major GPA, may be recommended by the department chair for department honors.


During the final grading period, you will be able to check your grades via myOneonta. Grades will be rolled into academic history each evening. If you have a HOLD, grades are not available via web services, but you can see your grades on DegreeWorks. Note: No grade or academic standing information will be given over the phone.

At that time your grades and GPAs will be reviewed, and your academic standing will be determined. You will be able to check your academic standing on Web Services (Good Standing, Semester Probation, Academic Dismissal). Holds do not stop you from viewing your academic standing. Additionally, you will receive a letter from the college outlining your academic standing. If you are academically dismissed, you will receive both an e-mail and a mailed letter.

If you are dismissed, you may choose to send a written appeal (instructions will be included in the dismissal letter and are available on the Registrar’s website). Appeals must explain and document extenuating circumstances that prohibited you from performing well, and an explanation/proof that the issue is resolved. Appeals are due to the Student Progress and Status Committee by the date and time specified in the dismissal letter. Few students are reinstated on appeal. Submitting an appeal is not a guarantee of reinstatement.

One way for you to improve your GPA is to repeat courses in which you earned E grades. We recommend repeating courses if:

  • You are confident that you can improve the grade.
  • You have confirmed with your Financial Aid Advisor that repeating coursework will not negatively impact your financial aid.

Note: If a student repeats a course they already earned credit for, those repeated credits may not count toward their full-time enrollment for financial aid.

Yes. Students who are academically dismissed can apply for readmission. Refer to the Office of Admissions for more information on Undergraduate Readmission.

Back to top