The Creative Writing Minor is designed for those who wish to supplement their major academic work in another discipline by developing their interest or talent in writing fiction, poetry, or creative prose. The minor requires six courses (18 s.h.): two core courses and four elective courses (workshop and/or independent study courses). The specific courses satisfying the requirements of the minor are to be selected under Departmental advisement from the courses listed below. Students intending to pursue this minor should consult the English Department Chair for guidance in selecting courses, 322 Netzer, 607.436.3446.
Core Courses 6 s.h.
- COMP 150 Introduction to Creative Writing
- LING 210 Traditional Grammar: English
Elective Courses 12 s.h.
(Choose four (4) of the following:
- COMP 211 Writing About Nature and the Environment
- COMP 260 Poetry Workshop
- COMP 270 Fiction Workshop
- COMP 275 Creative Non-Fiction Workshop
- COMP 294 Special Topics in Composition
- COMP 310 Screen Writing
- COMP 350 Writing Practicum
- COMP 394 Special Topics in Composition
- COMP 397 Internship (by advisement only)
- COMP 399 Independent Study
- LING 215 Introduction to Editing and Publishing
- LITR 285 Autobiography, Gender, and Culture
TOTAL 18 s.h.
1. College rules pertaining to curriculum majors also apply to curriculum minors
- Minor GPA of at least 2.0
- All courses must be taken for a letter grade unless offered Pass/Fail only
- One-half (1/2) of the minor coursework must be completed in residence
- No more than two courses may overlap between/among all majors/minors; any excess requires additional coursework
2. Check proper course selection, sequence and prerequisite requirements with the department of the minor