The minor in Computer Science is open to all undergraduates, and it consists of five required courses and one student selected course. It should be noted in the details below that college-level calculus is a prerequisite to some of the required credits in Computer Science. Consult the Computer Science Coordinator of the Mathematics, Computer Science, & Statistics Department, 274 Fitzelle, 607.436.3708, for more detailed information on options and suggested sequences. Students planning to complete requirements for a curriculum minor must make all arrangements with the Department Chairperson and Program Coordinator.
Required Courses 9 s.h.
- CSCI 116 Fundamentals of Programming (3 s.h.)
- CSCI 216 Fundamentals of Programming II (3 s.h.)
- CSCI 203 Data Structures (3 s.h.)
Selections 9-10 s.h.
Select three of the following:
- CSCI 200 Practical Computer Course
- CSCI 231 Assembly Language Programming
- CSCI 232 Computer Architecture
- CSCI 242 Intro to Data Base Using
- CSCI 243 UNIX/VMS Operating Systems
- CSCI 250 Intro to Computer Graphics
- CSCI 299 Independent Study (Permission of department)
- CSCI 310 Organization of Programming Languages
- CSCI 311 Software Design and Development
- CSCI 321 Numerical Computing
- CSCI 322 Combinatorial Computing
- CSCI 323 Modeling and Simulation
- CSCI 324 Artificial Intelligence
- CSCI 341 Compiler Construction
- CSCI 342 Data Base Systems Design
- CSCI 343 Operating Systems
- CSCI 344 Intro to Computer Communications
- CSCI 394 Special Topics (Dependent on topic)
- CSCI 399 Independent Study
TOTAL 18 - 19 s.h.
1. College rules pertaining to curriculum majors also apply to curriculum minors
- Minor GPA of at least 2.0
- All courses must be taken for a letter grade unless offered Pass/Fail only
- One-half (1/2) of the minor coursework must be completed in residence
- No more than two courses may overlap between/among all majors/minors; any excess requires additional coursework
2. Check proper course selection, sequence and prerequisite requirements with department of minor